General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Travel America - A Red Road Journey - With Native American History

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019 | 08:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
An interview with James Neptune, Museum Coordinator for the Penobscot Nation Museum, located at 12 Down Street on Indian Island, ME, is housed in the old Indian Agent’s Office. The Penobscot Nation Museum is dedicated to preserving and sharing the rich cultural heritage of the Penobscot and Wabanaki people. The museum houses collections that span thousands of years of history. The museum features birch bark canoes, walking sticks, root clubs, numerous historical photos, traditional garments and ceremonial wear, basketry materials, tools, and finished product, as well as contemporary art.

Old 10-10-2019 | 11:27 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
Penobscot Indian Island Reservation, Indian Island, Maine

Penobscot Indian Island Reservation is an Indian reservation for the Penobscot Tribe of Maine, a federally recognized tribe of the Penobscot in Penobscot County, Maine, United States, near Old Town.

Wabanaki Way
f22- iso 100- 1/10 x 10 images

Wabanaki Way
f22- iso 100- 1/5 x 24 images

Cemetery St
f22- iso 100- 1/5 x 24 images

Wabanaki Way
f22- iso 100- 1/10 x 21 images

Wabanaki Way
f22- iso 100- 1/10 x 8 images

Cemetery St
f22- iso 100- 0.4 x 15 images

Wabanaki Way
f14- iso 100- 1/13 x Single image

Wabanaki Way
f9- iso 100- 1/20 x single image

Couple below, off reserve.

f14- iso 100- 4 sec long exposure x 3 images high

f14- iso 100- 4 sec long exposure x 25 images

f14- iso 100- 4 sec long exposure x 6 images (six center images merged from same pano as above)

All photos:
Nikon D3400 - Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1
(Processed in lightroom. Taking me some practice with daytime shots,now in full manual mode,but I'm getting it. Learned I'm supposed to be using a high f stop number for landscape photo's to help ensure most depth range is in focus too.Though I went too far and went outside the sweet spot of the lens.I'm supposed to stay around f11-14ish range for best all around focus and lens sharpness.I'll get it with more reading and instructional videos.)

Fisheries

The mission of the Fisheries Program is to manage, develop and protect the Penobscot Indian Nation's fisheries resource in a sustainable manner that protects and enhances the cultural integrity of the Tribe.

The fisheries program, through its biologist, manages and monitors fisheries resources on Tribal trust lands. The PIN is represented by its biologist in the development and implementation of fisheries management plans for the Penobscot River with State of Maine and Federal resource agencies. The PIN biologist also represents Tribal interests in the relicensing of hydroelectric dams, the formation and execution of fish passage studies associated with relicensing and the protection of endangered and threatened fish species at hydroelectric dams.

Forestry

The mission of the Forestry Program is to sustainably manage the forest resources of the Penobscot Nation for multiple uses.

The members of the Penobscot Nation use the lands as a multiple use forest. Many hunt, fish, gather and hike across the land base. Others use motorized means of travel to explore what their lands have to offer. Sustainable forest management enhances the current forests, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational opportunities while ensuring those characteristics will remain for future generations.

https://www.penobscotnation.org/depa...rces/fisheries

https://www.penobscotnation.org/depa...urces/forestry

Old 10-10-2019 | 11:32 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
This video consists of rough cuts from an interview I (Scot Miller's youtube channel) did with James Neptune, Penobscot Nation Museum Coordinator, in June 2013. If you're in the Bangor area, it's worth making a trip to see James at the museum on Indian Island in Old Town.

Old 10-14-2019 | 05:06 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
Acadia National Park, Mount Desert Island, Maine

Acadia National Park is a 47,000-acre Atlantic coast recreation area primarily on Maine's Mount Desert Island. Its landscape is marked by woodland, rocky beaches and glacier-scoured granite peaks such as Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the United States’ East Coast. Among the wildlife are moose, bear, whales and seabirds. The bayside town of Bar Harbor, with restaurants and shops, is a popular gateway.

Red Oak Trees (the ones still with their green leaves) Overhang The Parks Loop Road

Loop Road

Loop Road

Loop Road

A Stand of Poplar Along the Loop Road

Red Oak Trees (the ones still with their green leaves) Overhang The Parks Loop Road

Loop Road

Cruise Ship - Loop Road

Loop Road

Loop Road

Loop Road

Loop Road

Sand Beach
Nikon D3400 - Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G - f/8 - 6 sec - iso 100 x 7 across by 3 row high pano
So close! I went for a 6 second long exposure. Had I upped my f-stop (numerically) so I could of slowed down to 15 seconds.I would of smoothed the whole ocean waves out and this would of stitched properly and would of been stunning!!!! Should of been another row or two higher also. Pano broke in the middle on upper rows.I think this lens is very sesitive to height and I need to give it lots of overlap.I want to try and do this one again sometime.Still pretty cool pano,regardless of the choppy stitched waves.Oh,what could of been!

Moonlit,Jordan Pond House
Nikon D3400 - Rokinon RK24MAF-N / f2.8 - 2 sec - iso 100 x single image

Moonlit,Jordan Pond
Nikon D3400 - Rokinon RK24MAF-N - f2.8 - 25 sec - iso 200 x 6 across by 5 row high pano

Still learning manual mode.These daytime photo's should of been much sharper.I went way to far on my f-stop.
If a single image doesn't show and tell the whole story like a panorama can, then shouldn't single images be called lies?

Al-wus-ki-ni-gess - Passamaquoddy folklore
(An invisible forest spirit responsible for the felling of trees. Pronounced ah-too-wuss-kuh-nee-gass.)

Seeing a smoke come from the top of a mountain, the children asked the elders what it was, or who could live there, and the fathers told them: "That is the home of' Al-wus-ki-ni-gess,' a tree-cutter, whose hatchet is made of stone. He throws it from him; it cuts the tree and returns to its master's hand at each blow. One stroke of his hatchet will fell the largest tree. No one ever saw him save Glus-kabe, who often goes to the cave to visit him. He is a harmless creature, and only fights when ordered to do so by Glus-kabe. He lives in that mountain, on deer, moose, or any meat he can kill. Sometimes he goes out to sea with Glus-kabe, to catch 'K'chi butep,' the Great Whale.

"Al-wus-ki-ni-gess and Kiawahq' once had a big fight, which lasted for two days. Kiawahq' put forth all his power to conquer, but failed. He uprooted huge trees, expecting them to fall and crush his rival in strength; but Alwus-ki-ni-gess would hurl his hatchet and split the tree asunder. Kiawahq' strove to drag him into the sea, but the wood spirit is as strong in the water as on land, to say nothing of the fact that when he is in the water, K'chiquinocktsh, the Turtle, comes to his aid. Once Kiawahq' got his foe between two great trees and felt sure he could slay him as they fell. Al-wus-ki-ni-gess seized his axe and struck the trees which fell. The wind caused by their fall was so mighty that it left Kiawahq' faint and exhausted. He was forced to beg for quarter, and promised his enemy that if he would spare his life, he would give him a stone wigwam and be his good friend forever. So the wood spirit had mercy and accepted his offer. That is how he got that cave where he still lives."

This version of the legend comes from Abby Langdon Alger's 1897 collection In Indian Tents.

May we always keep the honorable Passamaquoddy People of Maine in our hearts when we visit the sacred lands known today as Acadia National Park and surrounding area,once home to these great people.Friends of neighboring tribes,including my own.May all children of mother earth be equally respected and honored.We are all brothers.
Happy Indigenous People Day.

Old 10-14-2019 | 08:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
"We Shall Remain" is the second installment of the "ABMHS Song Project" from "Allison Bernard Memorial High School" in Eskasoni, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Old 10-17-2019 | 08:24 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
Maine Fall Foliage, Ancestral Territory of the Penobscot People (today's "mid coast" region)

Autumn leaf color is a phenomenon that affects the normal green leaves of many deciduous trees and shrubs by which they take on, during a few weeks in the autumn season, various shades of red, yellow, purple, black, blue, orange, magenta, and brown.In some areas of Canada and the United States, "leaf peeping" tourism is a major contribution to economic activity.

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1 - f/18 - 1/8 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1- f/11 - 2.5 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1 - f/11 - 2 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1 - f/20 - 2 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1 - f/18 - .6 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1 - f/11 - 2 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1 - f/11 - 1/4 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR ("Kit Lens" w/ auto focus turned off in menu. full manual mode too) - f/11 - 1/80 sec - iso 100

Rokinon RK24MAF-N - f16 (approx.3 clicks off f22) - 1/4 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1 - f/22 - 1/5 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1- f/18 - 2 sec - iso 100

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F/1.8G w/ Kenko 52mm Red Enhancer No.1 - f/9 - 3 sec - iso 100

Rainbow and the Autumn Leaves

In olden days, long before the Indians came to Canada, all the animals talked and worked like men. Every year after midsummer they held a great council at which they were all present. But it happened once in the summer before the council met, that they all wanted to go to the sky to see what the country up there was like. None of them could find a way to go. The oldest and wisest creature on all the earth was Turtle. One day he prayed to the Thunder God to take him to the sky, and his prayer was soon answered. There was a great noise, as if the earth had been split asunder, and when the people next looked for Turtle he was nowhere to be found. They searched everywhere without success. But that evening, when they looked upwards, they saw him in the sky, moving about like a black cloud. Turtle liked the sky so well that he decided to live there always and to send his descendants, later, to the earth. And the sky-people agreed to keep him. They asked him, "Where do you want to dwell?" And he answered, "I should like to dwell in the Black Cloud, in which are the ponds and streams and lakes and springs of water, for I always dwelt near these places when I was young." So he was allowed to have his wish. But when the Great Council of the animals met on earth in the time of the harvest-moon, he was always present. He came in the Black Cloud, but he always went back to the sky after the Council was ended. And the other animals envied him his good fortune, and they wished that they could go with him.

After a time the animals were greatly distressed and angered by the rumour that a new race of creatures was coming from far over the ocean to inhabit their land. They talked it over very carefully, and they all thought how fortunate it would be if they could all go to the sky with old Turtle, and live like him, free from fear and trouble and care. But they were puzzled to know how to get there, for Turtle had never told any of them the way.

One day Deer, wandering about alone in the forest, as was his custom, came across Rainbow, who often built a path of many colours to the sky. And he said to Rainbow, "Carry me up to the sky, for I want to see Turtle." But Rainbow was afraid to do it, for he wished first to ask the Thunder God for permission, and he put Deer off, and to gain time he said, "Come to me in winter, when I stay for a time on the mountain near the lake. Then I will gladly carry you to the place where Turtle dwells."

Throughout the long winter months Deer looked longingly for Rainbow, but Rainbow did not come. Life was growing harder on the earth, and the animals were in terror of the new race that was soon to come to their land, and Deer was very timid and impatient. At last, one day in the early summer, Rainbow came again, and Deer hastened to meet him. "Why were you false to me?" he asked; "I waited for you all winter long on the mountain by the lake, but you did not come as you promised. I want to go to the sky now, for I must see Turtle." Rainbow answered, "I cannot take you now. But some day, when there is a Fog over the lake, I shall come back to drive it away. Come to me then, and I shall take you to the sky and to the place where Turtle dwells. This time I will not deceive you."

Rainbow consulted the Thunder God, and received permission to do as Deer wished. Soon afterwards the Fog one day rolled in a thick bank across the lake, and Deer hurried out to wait for Rainbow. Sure enough, Rainbow came down, as he had promised, to drive the Fog away. He threw his arch of many colours from the lake to the blue hills far away, and the Fog at once disappeared from the place. And he said to Deer, who stood watching him, "Now I will keep my promise. Follow my many-coloured path over the hills and the forests and the streams, and be not afraid, and you will soon reach Turtle's home in the sky." Deer did as he was told, and soon he reached the sky. Turtle was glad to see him, and Deer liked the country so well that he decided to stay for ever. And he roamed over the sky everywhere, moving like the wind from place to place.

When midsummer had passed and the harvest-moon had come and the Great Council again met together, Deer was absent for the first time in his life. The animals waited long for him to appear, for they needed his advice, but he did not come. They sent the Birds out to find him. Black Hawk and Woodpecker and Bluejay all sought him in the forest, but they could not find a trace of him. Then Wolf and Fox scoured the woods far and near, but they came back and reported that he could not be found anywhere. At last Turtle arrived at the meeting of the Great Council, as was his custom, coming in his Black Cloud, in which were the ponds and lakes and streams and springs of water. And Bear said, "Deer is absent from the Council meeting. Where is Deer? We cannot meet without him, for we need his advice." And Turtle replied, "Deer is in the sky. Have you not heard? Rainbow made a wonderful pathway for him of many varied colours, and by that he came to the sky. There he is now," and he pointed to a golden cloud scurrying across the sky overhead.

Turtle advised that the animals should all go to the sky to live until they could be sure that the new race of creatures would bring them no harm. And he showed them the pathway that Rainbow had made, stretching from the earth in wonderful colours. The animals all agreed at the Great Council to take Turtle's advice. But they were all very angry at Deer for leaving them without warning, for they thought that all the animals should either stay together faithfully on the earth or go all together to the sky. Bear showed the greatest anger and annoyance. Because of his great strength, he had no fear of the new race that was said soon to be coming, and he had always been inclined to look with scorn on Deer's timid and impatient ways. "Deer has forsaken us," he said; "he deserted us in the hour of our danger, and that is contrary to forest laws and to our code of defence." And he thought to himself, "I shall punish him for this when the time comes."

In the late autumn, the time agreed upon came for the animals to leave the earth, and Rainbow again made his bright path for them to the sky. Bear was the first to go up because he was the leader, and because with his great weight he wanted to test the strength of the bridge of burning colours over which they had to pass. When he had almost reached the sky, he met Deer on the path waiting to welcome the animals to their new home. And he said to him in anger, "Why did you leave us behind, without warning, for the land of the Turtle? Why did you desert the Great Council? Why did you not wait until all could come together? You are a traitor to your comrades, and you have been false to our faith." And Deer answered, also in anger, "Who are you to doubt me or my faith? None but the Wolf may ask me why I came or question my fidelity. I will kill you for your insolence." Deer had grown very proud since he had gone to live in the sky, and he was no longer timid as he had been on earth. His eyes flashed in his fury, and he arched his neck and lowered his antlered head, and rushed madly at Bear to push him from the path.

But Bear was not afraid, for he had often tested his strength with Deer upon the earth. His low, hoarse growls sounded all over the sky, and he prepared to fight. They came together with a shock. For a long time they battled, until the bridge of burning colours trembled and the heavens shook from the force of the conflict. The animals waiting by the lake at the end of the path looked up and saw the battle above them. They feared the results, for they wanted neither Bear nor Deer to die. So they sent Wolf up to the sky to put a stop to the contest. When Wolf reached the combatants, Bear was bleeding freely, for Deer with his antlers had pierced his neck and side. Deer, too, was bleeding where Bear's strong claws had torn a great wound in his head. Wolf soon stopped the battle, and Bear and Deer went away to dress their wounds. Then the other animals went up to the sky over Rainbow's flaming path. And they decided to live in the sky and to send their descendants back to earth when the new race of creatures should come. And they can still sometimes be seen, like clouds hurrying across the sky, in the shape they had on earth.

But the blood of Bear and of Deer dropped from them as they moved to the sky from the scene of their battle along the Rainbow road. It fell freely upon the leaves of the trees beneath them, and changed them into varied colours. And every year when autumn comes in the north country, the leaves take on again the bright and wondrous colours given to them by the blood of Bear and Deer when they fought on the Rainbow path ages and ages ago. And Bear and Deer have never since been friends, and their descendants no longer dwell together in peace, as they did in the olden days.

Tribal affiliation not provided. Written by Cyrus Macmillan of P.E.I so likely Mi'kmaq. I've not heard of the rainbow part, perhaps made up by him or he got the story from Mi'kmaq.The part of the bears blood turning the leaves red is Wabanaki for sure. So it's at least inspired by Mi'kmaq stories he heard.It's a good one at any rate.

A green leaf is green because of the presence of a pigment known as chlorophyll, which is inside an organelle called a chloroplast. When abundant in the leaf's cells, as during the growing season, the chlorophyll's green color dominates and masks out the colors of any other pigments that may be present in the leaf. Thus, the leaves of summer are characteristically green.

Chlorophyll has a vital function: it captures solar rays and uses the resulting energy in the manufacture of the plant's food — simple sugars which are produced from water and carbon dioxide. These sugars are the basis of the plant's nourishment — the sole source of the carbohydrates needed for growth and development. In their food-manufacturing process, the chlorophylls break down, thus are being continually "used up". During the growing season, however, the plant replenishes the chlorophyll so that the supply remains high and the leaves stay green.

In late summer, as daylight hours shorten and temperatures cool, the veins that carry fluids into and out of the leaf are gradually closed off as a layer of special cork cells forms at the base of each leaf. As this cork layer develops, water and mineral intake into the leaf is reduced, slowly at first, and then more rapidly. During this time, the chlorophyll begins to decrease. Often, the veins are still green after the tissues between them have almost completely changed color.The amino acids released from degradation of light harvesting complexes are stored all winter in the tree's roots, branches, stems, and trunk until the next spring, when they are recycled to releaf the tree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn_leaf_color

Look out world. This Mi'kmaw has a camera and now I finally know how to use it haha. (Updated correction,no still not yet here either.Outside sweet spot of lens again on a few of them with the 18+ f-stops) The youtube video,like all that I post in this thread,is random and not mine.

Come on up and visit us,up here in Vacationland,friends. We've got the coffee on for ya and can probably even find ya a slice of pumpkin pie.
Best wishes on all your life's journeys.I hope you're all enjoying your human experiences as much as I am.Love and respect to all my brothers from the good red road,where there's no room for hate,it's always warm and where no religion is required.

Old 10-17-2019 | 10:41 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
Something is going very, very wrong on one of the Mi'kmaq reservations this spooktobter!

Blood Quantum is a Canadian horror film, directed by Jeff Barnaby and released in 2019.The film depicts the effects of a zombie uprising on a First Nations reserve whose residents are personally immune to the plague because of their indigenous heritage, but must still cope with the consequences of its effects on the world around them, including a wave of white refugees seeking shelter on the reserve.

The film's cast includes Michael Greyeyes, Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers, Forrest Goodluck, Kiowa Gordon, Brandon Oakes, Olivia Scriven, Kawennáhere Devery Jacobs and Gary Farmer. The film was shot in 2018, primarily at the Kahnawake and Listuguj reserves in Quebec.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Quantum_(film)

Blood Quantum (2019)
18A 1h 36min Horror 19 October 2019 (USA)

Storyline

Jeff Barnaby’s astutely titled second feature is equal parts horror and pointed cultural critique. Zombies are devouring the world, yet an isolated Mi’gmaq community is immune to the plague. Do they offer refuge to the denizens outside their reserve or not?

The term "blood quantum" refers to a colonial blood measurement system that is used to determine an individual's Indigenous status, and is criticized as a tool of control and erasure of Indigenous peoples. The words take on even more provocative implications as the title of Jeff Barnaby's sophomore feature, which grimly depicts an apocalyptic scenario where in an isolated Mi'gmaq community discover they are the only humans immune to a zombie plague. As the citizens of surrounding cities flee to the Mi'gmaq reserve in search of refuge from the outbreak, the community must reckon with whether to let the outsiders in — and thus risk not just the extinction of their tribe but of humanity, period.

The severe and scathing portrait of post-colonial Indigenous life and culture that Barnaby previously captured in the acclaimed Rhymes for Young Ghouls here deftly collides with the iconography and violent hyperbole typical of the zombie genre. The undead are spectacularly and gruesomely dispatched via samurai swords, chainsaws, shotguns, and makeshift axes, while the living - a terrific ensemble cast led by Michael Greyeyes (Woman Walks Ahead and Fear the Walking Dead) — endure the paranoid pressures that such dire straits foment. In this iteration, however, Barnaby takes full advantage of the canvas zombie films regularly afford for cultural critique, exploring racism, colonialism, and the very real threat of extinction that Indigenous communities have experienced for generations.

Further accentuated by arresting animated chapter breaks that instill a cool comic-book aesthetic to its horrific proceedings, Blood Quantum is as powerful an entry into the annals of zombie cinema as the devastating conclusion to George Romero's 1968 original Night of the Living Dead, and a meaningful demonstration of how marginalized voices — when given the opportunity — can resurrect a tired genre with incendiary new life.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7394674/

Old 10-30-2019 | 11:32 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
A Modern Mi'kmaq Story For All Hallows' Eve

This is a story you have not heard before.For it has yet to be told.This is not a story from long ago but a modern Mi'kmaq story of tonight that you know as All Hallows' Eve.

I set out into the deep woods of Mi'kma'ki to my wigwam but with creatures that lurk on this night, I do not wish to go alone.Wont you come along?
This is the traditional territory of the great Mi'kmaq Indian Nation.This is no ordinary night though my friends,oh no.I tell you something stirs in the deep forests and I am starting to hear things that we people do not hear on normal nights.
Come along with me if you dare but fair warning, you are going to see and hear things that you did not know were real in these woods.Things that my people have known about for thousands of years.Let us enter the woods........if you dare.

In here.Come with me.This is the way to my wigwam. If we make it to my wigwam,the evil spirits cannot harm us there for it is a sacred place and the evils of the world cannot enter. Though it is a long journey and we must use extreme caution.

We just need to keep moving,if any of them hear us we are doomed,for we are miles away and it is simply too far to make a run for it. We must be quiet and walk as silent as possible. What? Did you not know the reason for our ability to walk so quietly? It it because we have been practicing for thousands of years to not disturbed the evil ones when we know they are awake looking for human flesh to feast on, on nights like these.It is an old knowledge passed down through generations,to walk without disturbing the evil ones who hunt humans at night.

Up this way......

STOP!
Something rustles the leaves on the ground just head.Stay here.I will go ahead to see what it is.Whatever happens, do not panic! For if you move and give away your location,you will be dead! I will be right back. Whatever happens,do not move!

Ok,listen to me very carefully.It is too dark to see him very well but I could just make out his shadow.We are in trouble.It is LOX! Lox is an old evil spirit from way back.He is an Indian devil! My people knew of him since he came to our lands three thousand years ago and has been a disturbance to my people ever since.
He is a very,wicked wolverine spirit.If he hears us,we cannot defend ourselves against him for he cannot be stabbed,shot with my arrows,nor your bullets.No,for all items pass straight through him.He will rip us apart in a matter of seconds! We must enter the water here.Hold your breath and we must swim far out and around him for at least a hundred feet or he will hear us and come in after us.

Let us ease into the water here.Ready?

OK. I think we are far enough away from him that he cannot hear us.Let us swim back to dry land here.

That was close my brother, for if he heard so much as a twig snap or a splash from us,we would have been a meal for Lox on this night I tell you.
Let us keep moving to the wigwam.We still have miles to go deeper into the woods until we are safe.

STOP!
We are not alone.I sense a presence.Something evil awaits us on the trail from up ahead.Let us move carefully onward until we can see where it is.Look there!
A dark object streaks past about fifty yards ahead.I do not know what it is.Something now hunts us.Be alert!

There it goes again! Just twenty five yards ahead this time.I got a good look in the moonlight.It has big ears and dark,red eyes! Oh no, It is Lusifee! (loo-sih-fee). Lusifee is a lynx.A wild cat, but this one is no ordinary Lynx. No,for Lusifee is said to be a cat of the living dead.No one knows for sure how long Lusifee has been in Mi'kma'ki but when the white man came to live on our lands,Lusifee would steal away their children and they were never to be seen again.We always only found tracks and some fur among the devoured chromosome pile of bones of the children.
This is not just a cat my brother,this is a wicked spirit animal and there is no way we can outrun him! Come now,we must walk in complete silence.

Look out!
Lusifee leaps at you from high up a tree! I push you out of the way and I take my spear and drive it into the heart of Lusifee as he plunges at my neck!He falls between us lifeless.Is he dead,you ask? I do not know my brother,this is my first encounter with Lusifee.We see it is no ordinary Lynx,that much is sure.This cat must be one hundred and fifty pounds strong and his eyes glow a deep red,as red as blood.This is the legendary Lusifee,there is no mistake.Let us get out of here for fear this evil devil cat rises and rips us to shreds!

I think we should go back,you declare! We can not turn back now brother,we are in far too deep in the forest.If We turn back now,we will never make it out alive.No,the only safety now is making it to my wigwam.We are close,my friend.We must be within a mile now.We must press on and make it to the wigwam.It is Just ahead on the trail beside the lake.

Look out into the lake! Do you see those ripples in the moonlight? It's Jipijka'm! (chih-pitch-kawm) Jipijka'm is an under water horned serpent and he eats humans! The trail narrows up ahead.We must pass over some slippery rocks.We must be careful not to lose our footing and slip into the lake or we will surely be eaten alive!

Listen, do you hear that? Yes, you reply, What is it? It's the flapping of wings.Look up! Oh no, it's Kollu! (kuh-loo) Who the hell is Kollu! You yell? Kollu is a giant bird of prey and he's coming straight at us! We have no choice,we have to dive into the lake! WHAT! Are you mad, and risk getting eaten by Jipijka'm! You yell out.Oh no way,I will take my chances with Kollu.Watch yourself my brother for if he hooks you with his talons,he will carry you off over to the Penobscot Nations lands, up on Mt Katahdin (the greatest mountain) and feast on your flesh on the snow covered mountain top.I dive into the lake and start swimming to the other side.Jump in, jump in, I yell at you! Kollu, the giant bird of prey, swoops down and misses you.His giant wings flap so hard that the gush of wind from his wings blows you off the rocks and into the lake!

Swim for it brother,swim!, I yell! Kollu screeches out and circles above in the moonlit sky,coming around for another aerial attack. Hurry, Hurry! Swim faster! We have little time before he swoops back down and plucks us from the lake! Keep watching for ripples for I do not know where Jipijka'm is! If he hears us,he is so large that he will swallow us together,whole! Over there to the right,you shout out! Where!, I yell back? There,over by the edge of the lake,horns appear! Oh no! Jipijka'm is surfacing! That is what he does just before he eats his victims! We are only halfway across the lake. We are never going to make it!, you shout.We have to try!, I respond. Listen,Kollu is about to swoop down.When he does,our only chance is to dive.Get ready,here he comes! We feel the wind from his wings.We look back as we frantically swim and watch for the massive talons attempting to grab us.Here he comes brother,Dive! Dive! Dive! We go under water,we dive deep and do not stop until we are down a good thirty feet.We look up from under the water and we see the talons of Kollu sink into the back of the great horned serpent Jipijka'm, as he swims over us with his mouth wide open in his attempt to eat us!

A large battle between giant evil spirits erupts! A thrashing of the water! A wind created so powerful from the flapping wings of Kollu that a massive storm sends giant waves that carry us all the way over to the other side of the lake.As the serpent and bird fight and tear at each others flesh,we look back from the shore as Jipijka'm flicks his head up and stabs his massive horns into Kollu! Kollu screeches out again, pecks out one of Jipijka'm eyes.As the blood gushes out from the two evil spirited beasts,Jipijka'm dives to the lakes bottom as Kollu flaps his wings and flies off over the mountains.

We look at each other in disbelief and awe that we managed to escape an encounter with such giant evil forces! We are almost there.Look I can see the wigwam ahead!

Oh no! Now what! Kukwes (kook-wess) is standing between us and the wigwam! What is that giant thing, you ask? Kukwes is a giant man eating ogre. She has been tormenting the Mi'kmaw people since time immemorial. My great,grandfather once told me that for at least 8,000 years, Kukwes has roamed these lands. It is said she simply walked out from under the sea one day.Perhaps once a great whale,she evolved to grow feet and began to walk the ocean floor until she arrived in Mi'kma'ki.She is a very nasty giant.She is covered in hair and her head is that of a bear. Taller than the tallest of the white pine trees. How will we ever get past her to reach the wigwam, you ask? We need to distract her, I respond. I will run around the other side in front of her. When I start shouting, make a run for it to my camp. Light the sacred fire and she will run away. Ready? I take off running and the evil ogre raises her mighty foot and stomps down with a mighty thumb that shakes the earth, in an attempt to flatten me! I roll and duck in between two large rocks. Run, Run!, I yell out to you. You take off running as the mighty, ugly, giant drops to her knees and try's to get a hold of me in the rocks. I lit the sacred fire!, you declare. Kukwes, bellows out in fear when she smells the smoke, she looks over her shoulder at you, panics when she see's the flames.She takes off running and crashes out through the woods,far away from us.

We made it my brother. We are safe to camp here for the night. None of the evil spirits can bring harm to us on the night of All Hallows' Eve so long as we are in the wigwam.It is because we worked together in harmony as a team and as equal brothers that we made it.It was because of our joining forces and standing together that we were able to best the evil of this world. So it was then that we camped in peace by the sacred fire and campsite of the Mi'kmaw wigwam.

This has been a modernized Mi'kmaq tale. By telling new stories we continue,in part,our way of life,thereby honoring those who have went on before us,up to the spirit path in the sky. A good Mi'kmaw storyteller within the tribe,has always been highly revered.
Photo's I used from my travels.All in the ancestral territory of the Wabanaki Confederacy. (Indian Island - P.E.I. - NS etc) No doubt you recognized many of them.I used mostly daytime pics that I altered in adobe lightroom to appear as night photos (they were never intended to fool you lol).
The character's are in fact,all mythological Mi'kmaq figures.Like all good tall tales,I may have altered them a bit and exaggerated a tiny bit, but isn't that what helps make such a good story?

Please share this story around your campfires with your friends and family.All I ask is,that you mention it was told by the Mi'kmaw (meeg-maw) people of Mi'kma'ki (meeg-maw-gee) which is unceded Mi'kmaq lands to this day and shared with present day Northern Maine and the Atlantic provinces and Maritimes of Canada.

Happy All Hallows' Eve, my brothers.

Old 10-31-2019 | 01:15 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
A selection of creepy Native American legends, monsters and tales.

The Girl-Chenoo - A Mi'kmaq Stroy

Of the old time. Far up the Saguenay River a branch turns off to the north, running back into the land of ice and snow. Ten families went up this stream one autumn in their canoes, to be gone all winter on a hunt. Among them was a beautiful girl, twenty years of age. A young man in the band wished her to become his wife, but she flatly refused him. Perhaps she did it in such a way as to wound his pride; certainly she roused all that was savage in him, and he gave up all his mind to revenge.

He was skilled in medicine, or in magic, so he went into the woods and gathered an herb which makes people insensible. Then stealing into the lodge when all were asleep, he held it to the girl's face, until she had inhaled the odor and could not be easily awakened. Going out he made a ball of snow, and returning placed it in the hollow of her neck, in front, just below the throat. Then he retired without being discovered. So she could not awake, while the chill went to her heart.

When she awoke she was chilly, shivering, and sick. She refused to eat. This lasted long, and her parents became alarmed. They inquired what ailed her. She was ill-tempered; she said that nothing was the matter. One day, having been sent to the spring for water, she remained absent so long that her mother went to seek her. Approaching unseen, she observed her greedily eating snow. And asking her what it meant, the daughter explained that she felt within a burning sensation, which the snow relieved. More than that, she craved the snow; the taste of it was pleasant to her.

After a few days she began to grow fierce, as though she wished to kill some one. At last she begged her parents to kill her. Hitherto she had loved them very much. Now she told them that unless they killed her she would certainly be their death. Her whole nature was being changed.

"How can we kill you?" her mother asked.

"You must shoot at me," she replied, "with seven arrows. And if you can kill me with seven shots all will be well. But if you cannot, I shall kill you."

Seven men shot at her, as she sat in the wigwam. She was not bound. Every arrow struck her in the breast, but she sat firm and unmoved. Forty-nine times they pierced her; from time to time she looked up with an encouraging smile. When the last arrow struck she fell dead.

Then they burned the body, as she had directed. It was soon reduced to ashes, with the exception of the heart, which was of the hardest ice. This required much time to melt and break. At last all was over.

She had been brought under the power of an evil spirit; she was rapidly being changed into a Chenoo, a wild, fierce, unconquerable being. But she knew it all the while, and it was against her will. So she begged that she might be killed.

The Indians left the place; since that day none have ever returned to it. They feared lest some small part of the body might have remained unconsumed, and that from it another Chenoo would rise, capable of killing all whom she met.

This version of the legend comes from Charles Leland's 1884 collection The Algonquian Legends of New England.

(Today, when sharing this story outside of historical context and education such as here, might I suggest replacing the term "savage" (due it's historical de-humanization connotations of indigenous people) with the word 'angered' instead, even though with it's term of use here, it may or not necessarily imply pagan or heathen - which is to say without a spirit or soul.It doesn't appear to be used as such in this case, but I'm not a historian,so.Plus of course we no longer talk like this and though I can't speak for all Natives,I can say that I much prefer the word not be used in passing when it comes to the subject of indigenous people.)

What was my amazement, however, at discovering, day by day, that there existed among them, entirely by oral tradition, a far grander mythology than that which has been made known to us by either the Chippewa or Iroquois Hiawatha Legends, and that this was illustrated by an incredible number of tales.
I soon ascertained that these were very ancient. The old people declared that they had heard from their progenitors that all of these stories were once sung; that they themselves remembered when many of them were poems. This was fully proved by discovering manifest traces of poetry in many, and finally by receiving a long Micmac tale which had been sung by an Indian. I found that all the relaters of this lore were positive as to the antiquity of the narratives, and distinguished accurately between what was or was not pre-Columbian. In fact, I came in time to the opinion that the original stock of all the Algonquin myths, and perhaps of many more, still existed, not far away in the West, but at our very doors; that is to say, in Maine and New Brunswick. It is at least certain, as the reader may convince himself, that these Wabanaki, or Northeastern Algonquin, legends give, with few exceptions, in full and coherently, many tales which have only reached us in a broken, imperfect form, from other sources.

We Natives of Turtle Island (American continent) have always enjoyed telling spooky stories,since time immemorial.
There are many,many more that I haven't shared yet.Most in fact,I still haven't read yet myself.The more I research, the more I find. I have such a backlog of books right now though. It is very clear that scary tales were always a major part of the Wabanaki tribes culture. Just imagine, some of these stories have been told for literally thousands of years! Just imagine that. Doesn't get anymore cooler than that. What a blessing that they survived through oral tradition and then many of them, latter written down. I know my ancestors would be honored every time I share them and help bring these tales back to life and perhaps even more proud when I help tell a new one.

Old 01-04-2020 | 02:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
Moosehead Lake, Greenville,Maine

Moosehead Lake is the largest lake in the U.S. state of Maine and the largest mountain lake in the eastern United States.The Town of Greenville, Maine strives to promote and improve quality of life, enhancing a sense of community, and preserving the integrity of our small-town identity and heritage.

Gluskabe Kills The Monster Moose And Creates Landmarks - A Penobscot Legend.

Then Gluskabe started out again in search of other people. At last he reached a large lake. There he met the people and they said, "Our village is in great danger from a giant magic moose, for fear of whom we can hardly go hunting. He has killed many of us." "I will search for him," said Gluska'be, "and destroy him for you." Then he started to search for him, and reached the "yard" where the giant moose was, and started him running. As he was following the moose, suddenly, looking ahead, he saw a little bough shelter, and a woman came walking out. It was Squatty-Woman (Pukadji'nkwes-u). Then he went right on by, and did not answer her joking. Then, as he went on, Squatty-Woman became very angry, and said, "You are very haughty. Now you will see!" Then she followed Gluska'be. He went along so fast, that whenever she came to an outlook, she could not see him. She said, "That Gluska'be is a very swift man." When she reached the mouth of the river, looking across a rocky point, she saw him going along after the moose. Then he jumped across. His dog overtook him. He said, "You sit here and watch for Squatty-Woman." Accordingly the dog sat down and watched for her. When she came down to the river, she saw the rocky point, and jumped across in the same place where Gluska'be landed. She said, "Tci-' , you will soon see." Then she beheld the big dog, and became disheartened, and turned back. He followed the moose, and on the fourth day overtook him and killed him. He took his insides out and threw them to his dog. They reached the distance of three "looks." His dog ate as far as they went. As the intestines fell in the water, so they lay and sank, turning into stone, and may still be seen white on the bottom of the river. Now it is called Musi'katci ("moose hind-parts"). Then he turned his dog into stone, and there he sits too. Then Gluska'be returned and cooked his moose-meat in his kettle near the big lake. When he had eaten, he turned his kettle over, and left it there turned into stone. Now it may still be seen. It is the mountain called Kineo. Then he went back and told his people, his descendants, "Now I have killed the big beast. He will never bother you again." They rejoiced, and said, "You have done very much for us. We thank you exceedingly all together."

This version of the legend comes from Frank Speck's 1918 collection Penobscot Transformer Tales.

Worth a trip from wherever you are coming from, Moosehead Lake will leave you transfixed and planning your next visit! The unspoiled wilderness, solitude, and pristine beauty provides the perfect atmosphere for your enjoyment. Whether you are looking to fish the lake, hike the vast forest trails, or catch a glimpse of the Maine wildlife, Moosehead has it all. Stunning Moosehead Lake is THE place for adventurers, free-spirits, and artisans looking for solitude in an unspoiled woodland.

There is nothing quite like a Maine winter. Whether you prefer a peaceful walk through the serene forest, a snowshoe hike overlooking snow-covered vistas, or the thrill of ice climbing on frozen waterfalls, Moosehead Lake is sure not to disappoint. The Moosehead Lake region offers many snowshoe trails. Make a day trip to the loop trail at Big Squaw Ski Resort, or spend an afternoon on the trails at NREC. Need to rent of upgrade your gear? Head Northwoods Outiftters or Indian Hill Trading Post!

The Moosehead Lake region is a sea of mountains, and those frozen views are stunning beyond belief. Ready for a challenge? Strap on your snowshoes or crampons and hike six of our iconic mountains to complete the Winter Pinnacle Pursuit Challenge!

Destination Moosehead Lake - Maine's Crown Jewel

Mt. Kineo; The kettle of the mighty Wabanaki God, "Gluska'be", that this story speaks of, told by my Penobscot brothers, is the fourth photo up with the row of white birch trees. Taken from the Rockwood Town Landing. Today, this is a state park with tent sites at the summit.I've yet to visit.If your curious as to if I've ever seen Northern Lights like that persons video,no! I've seen them as a teen once up in Aroostook County while visiting my Mi'kmaq family one summer but it wasn't that bright and spectacular.They are not very often seen in Maine like Canada.A bit too low still for often displays like that.They really lucked out.That's Canada and Alaska next level,advanced light show right there.

Did that Indian just backpack with a popup tent?! hahaha I sure did.I just got this for roadside car camping for traveling across country and I wanted to try it out.I didn't have far to hike in anyway,so I figured,why not.Nice little tent. Often I try to make good time on the road and depending where I'm headed across the states or up across Canada,I'll drive into the night hours a bit and this will come in handy for tossing and not having to mess with poles in the dark.
A trip up to Moosehead is always fun.Just because it's cold with snow doesn't mean Mainers stop having fun.Come on up and do some ice fishing.We have miles upon miles of ski,snow shoe and snowmobile trails.Don't worry,we wont make you sleep out in the woods like I do lol.We've got nice lodges,cottages,inns,cabins and camps to pick from.We'll have the coffee on for ya.

Old 01-04-2020 | 03:19 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
We can find unity in our diversity ✊🏼 I am proud to partner IllumiNative and Mag 7 for the release of “We Are One,” a collaboration to show the richness, diversity, and beauty of Indian Country.

Research has shown that the lack of representation of Native peoples in mainstream society creates a void that limits the understanding and knowledge that Americans have of Native communities. We are here to fight the invisibility that Natives face by amplifying contemporary, authentic Native voices, and supporting Native peoples tell their story. We as humans all live in this one world where we have to work and live together. Our goal is for Native peoples to be normalized in a current today and show accurate and positive representations of our people.

Old 01-19-2020 | 12:12 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
Hothole Valley Parcel, Orland,Maine

Hothole Valley is 3,420 acres of wooded valley between the peaks of Great Pond Mountain on the west; Oak Hill, Flag Hill and Flying Moose Mountain on the east; and Hothole Mountain, Condon Hill and Hedgehog Hill to the north.

A Mi'kmaw Indian lights a sacred fire on the ancestral lands of his Penobscot brethren.Here,out under the stars,he is home.

Photos; D3400/nikkor 35mm 1.8 dx/Lightroom

First People and the First Corn - A Penobscot Legend

Long ago, Klos-kur-beh, the Great Teacher, lived in the land where no people lived. One day at noon, a young man came to him and called him "Mother's brother."

Standing before Klos-kur-beh, he said, "I was born of the foam of the waters. The wind blew, and the waves quickened into foam. The sun shone on the foam and warmed it, and the warmth made life, and the life was I. See--I am young and swift, and I have come to abide with you and to help in all that you do."

Again on a day at noon, a maiden came, stood before the two, and called them "my children." "My children, I have come to abide with you and have brought with me love. I will give it to you, and if you will love me and will grant my wish, all the world will love me, even the very beasts. Strength is mine, and I give it to whosoever may get me. Comfort also is mine, for though I am young, my strength shall be felt over all the earth. I was born of the beautiful plant of the earth. For the dew fell on the leaf, and the sun warmed the dew, and the warmth was life, and that life is I."

Then Klos-kur-beh lifted up his hands toward the sun and praised the Great Spirit. Afterward, the young man and the maiden became man and wife, and she became the first mother. Klos-kur-beh taught their children and did great works for them. When his works were finished, he went away to live in the Northland until it should be time for him to come again.

The people increased until they were numerous. When a famine came among them, the first mother grew more and more sorrowful. Every day at noon she left her husband's lodge and stayed away from him until the shadows were long. Her husband, who dearly loved her, was sad because of her sorrow. One day he followed her trail as far as the ford of the river, and there he waited for her to return.

When she came, she sang as she began to ford the river, and as long as her feet were in the water she seemed glad. The man saw something that trailed behind her right foot, like a long green blade. When she came out of the water, she stooped and cast off the blade. Then she appeared sorrowful.

The husband followed her home as the sun was setting, and he bade her come out and look at the beautiful sun. While they stood side by side, there came seven little children. They stood in front of the couple, looked into the woman's face, and spoke: "We are hungry, and the night will soon be here. Where is the food?"

Tears ran down the woman's face as she said, "Be quiet, little ones. In seven moons you shall be filled and shall hunger no more."

Her husband reached out, wiped away her tears, and asked, "My wife, what can I do to make you happy?"

"Nothing else," she said. "Nothing else will make me happy."

Then the husband went away to the Northland to ask Klos-kur-beh for counsel. With the rising of the seventh sun, he returned and said, "O wife, Klos-kur-beh has told me to do what you asked."

The woman was pleased and said, "When you have slain me, let two men take hold of my hair and draw my body all the way around a field. When they have come to the middle of it, let them bury my bones. Then they must come away. When seven months have passed, let them go again to the field and gather all that they find. Tell them to eat it. It is my flesh. You must save a part of it to put in the ground again. My bones you cannot eat, but you may burn them. The smoke will bring peace to you and your children."

The next day, when the sun was rising, the man slew his wife. Following her orders, two men drew her body over an open field until her flesh was worn away. In the middle of the field, they buried her bones.

When seven moons had passed by and the husband came again to that place, he saw it all filled with beautiful tall plants. He tasted the fruit of the plant and found it sweet. He called it Skar-mu- nal--"corn." And on the place where his wife's bones were buried, he saw a plant with broad leaves, bitter to the taste. He called it Utar-mur-wa-yeh-- "tobacco."

Then the people were glad in their hearts, and they came to the harvest. But when the fruits were all gathered, the man did not know how to divide them. So he sent to the great teacher, Klos- kur-beh, for counsel. When Klos-kur-beh came and saw the great harvest, he said, "Now have the first words of the first mother come to pass, for she said she was born of the leaf of the beautiful plant. She said also that her power should be felt over the whole world and that all men should love her.

"And now that she has gone into this substance, take care that the second seed of the first mother be always with you, for it is her flesh. Her bones also have been given for your good. Burn them, and the smoke will bring freshness to the mind. And since these things came from the goodness of a woman's heart, see that you hold her always in memory. Remember her when you eat. Remember her when the smoke of her bones rises before you. And because you are all brothers, divide among you her flesh and her bones. Let all share alike, for so will the love of the first mother have been fulfilled."

Welcome uses of the Wildlands include hiking, jogging, bicycling, horseback riding, fishing, hunting, photography, nature study, paddling, picnicking, berry-picking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. No ATVs, dirt bikes or other off-road vehicles are allowed. Snowmobiles are welcome on designated trails.
Managed for wildlife habitat and low-impact recreation, the Wildlands is a place where you may see a moose while mountain biking, paddle along a pristine shore, or enjoy an amazing view from more than one mountain.
Hothole Valley is 3,420 acres of wooded valley between the peaks of Great Pond Mountain on the west; Oak Hill, Flag Hill and Flying Moose Mountain on the east; and Hothole Mountain, Condon Hill and Hedgehog Hill to the north. The valley is bisected by Hothole Brook, winding north three miles through swamps and beaver meadows to plunge into pristine Hothole Pond. Fourteen miles of gravel roads akin to Acadia’s carriage trails traverse the property; some are open to vehicle traffic on summer and fall weekends or snowmobiles in winter. All are open year round to horses, bicycles and foot traffic. Discover footpaths leading to spectacular views on Flag Hill’s bald summit, a rushing stream, or a quiet shore on Hothole Pond.

https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/tra...hothole-valley

Winter camping advantages; The tent sites are always available and the mosquitoes ain't too bad.

Old 01-19-2020 | 12:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
**Winner of a 2019 Heartland Emmy Award**

North America's largest mammal, the American bison, is an enduring symbol of the Great Plains. Bison once ranged from Canada to New Mexico and from Nevada to the Appalachian Mountains. By 1889, their populations were reduced from 30 to 60 million animals to fewer than 1000. Bison were pushed to the brink of extinction by a number of factors, including over hunting by hide hunters, trains, competition with cattle and horses, and disease. Bison survived near extinction with the help of prescient Native Americans and early conservationists who worked to protect the species through effective federal wildlife management policy. Today bison are considered a conservation success story. More than 500,000 bison now live on the Great Plains in protected herds that range on national, state, local, and private lands, and in 2016 President Obama codified the bison’s place in America’s cultural imagination by signing a law making bison the country’s first national mammal.

Old 01-20-2020 | 08:06 AM
old farm truck
Elder User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
We can find unity in our diversity ✊🏼 I am proud to partner IllumiNative and Mag 7 for the release of “We Are One,” a collaboration to show the richness, diversity, and beauty of Indian Country.

Research has shown that the lack of representation of Native peoples in mainstream society creates a void that limits the understanding and knowledge that Americans have of Native communities. We are here to fight the invisibility that Natives face by amplifying contemporary, authentic Native voices, and supporting Native peoples tell their story. We as humans all live in this one world where we have to work and live together. Our goal is for Native peoples to be normalized in a current today and show accurate and positive representations of our people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHhbeRJudY4
Greedy Indians. They want the butter and the money.

Old 01-22-2020 | 07:41 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
|
Post Fiend
Hirundo Wildlife Refuge, Old Town, Maine

Hirundo is a 2,400-acre nature preserve, spanning Pushaw and Dead Streams, Lac D’Or (lake), vast wetlands, including domed bog and maple and juniper swamps, and mixed hardwood and evergreen forests.
Wabanaki interpretive trail's highlights are the site of a former Red Paint people village (approx. 7000 years old), and a muskrat lodge.

Photos; D3400/nikkor 35mm 1.8 dx/Lightroom

The Red Paint People are a Pre-Columbian culture indigenous to the New England and Atlantic Canada regions of North America. They were named after their burials, which used large quantities of ochre, normally red, to cover both the bodies of the dead and grave goods.

They flourished between 3000 BCE and 1000 BCE.

Multiple hypotheses exist as to which if any later peoples might be their descendants and there is little archaeological evidence to support any hypothesis.

Their burial culture was more elaborate than any subsequent culture in the area. In the southern portion of their range, they were succeeded by the Susquehana culture which used pottery, and no evidence of their stoneworking techniques is found in that culture.

The Red Paint People lived, fished, and hunted along the coasts and rivers. Some coastal sites show evidence of year-round occupation, discrediting an older theory that these people were seasonal nomads, living the summers on the coast and the winters inland. Their diet included sea and migratory fish, shellfish, meat, berries, acorns, nuts, and roots. The Red Paint People had stone and bone tools, as well as boats capable of catching swordfish. No pottery or metal tools have been found in sites associated with this culture. Their trading range is known to have extended from Labrador to the New York side of Lake Champlain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Paint_People

Hirundo is a 2,400-acre nature preserve, spanning Pushaw and Dead Streams, Lac D’Or (lake), vast wetlands, including domed bog and maple and juniper swamps, and mixed hardwood and evergreen forests. Only 10 miles from the University of Maine, Orono Campus and 18 miles from Bangor, visitors paddle canoes for a modest donation and watch playful river otters, mink, breeding Wood Ducks, Bald Eagles, and listen to the American Bittern in the tranquil beauty. While hiking, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing, one might encounter moose, deer, red fox, muskrat, beaver, black bear and fisher.

Birdwatchers enjoy such breeding and migrating birds as Virginia Rail, Pileated Woodpecker, Northern Goshawk, Northern Harrier, Blackburnian and Nashville Warblers, Scarlet Tananger, Common Snipe, Woodcock, Barred Owl, Belted Kingfisher, Great Blue Heron, Northern Waterthrush, Northern Rough-winged and Tree Swallows, and Olive-Sided, Yellow-Bellied, Alder, Great Crested and Least Flycatchers.

https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/tra...ildlife-refuge

What? You act like you've never heard tell of a Wabanaki Indian walking a Wabanaki trail before.
A couple are taken from surrounding trails/places too.That persons youtube channel has a few more drone vids of the place too.Check 'em out. I wish the state of Maine would allow all Wabanaki Indians (of all 4 enrolled tribes) to freely disperse,back county camp,on all and any public lands,year round (though perhaps,understandably for short periods of time in one spot). It's not like they'd have to worry about us littering up the place.No one values these protected places more than we do.Sleeping out in these places is a feeling of completeness and a oneness with the land is the best way I can describe it.A reconnect with our mother earth.It's not just home.It's much deeper than that.It's us.We are these lands.We are these trees.We are the grasses and the flowers that grow.We are the water that flows.The human body disconnect is only an illusion.The spirit remains connected as one.This might not be your science and you might not understand it but it is our science and we know it to be true.We are alive as humans only because mother earth is alive.

Quick Reply: Travel America - A Red Road Journey - With Native American History