Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injectors...favorite TOOLS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017 | 07:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Club FTE Gold Member
  1. I use one of those aluminized dryer hoses to vent the fumes out the bottom of the garage door. It fits the 4" exhaust perfectly.
  2. I wouldn't top the engine until you ran it to full engine temp, then retorque the injectors.
  3. Why the missing alternator belt?
  4. I sure heard the big single shots without a tune - very dstinctive sound. Driving it like that is whiplash in the making.
  5. YEAH!

Old 12-13-2017 | 07:21 AM
ExPACamper
|
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
  1. I use one of those aluminized dryer hoses to vent the fumes out the bottom of the garage door. It fits the 4" exhaust perfectly.
  2. I wouldn't top the engine until you ran it to full engine temp, then retorque the injectors.
  3. Why the missing alternator belt?
  4. I sure heard the big single shots without a tune - very dstinctive sound. Driving it like that is whiplash in the making.
  5. YEAH!
I might have something around I could use. I have used a big fan blowing it out before, but a piece of hose would be better.

Belt- The entire belt is off. I still have the A/C compressor off its mounting bracket to access the passenger side valve cover area. The bolts go into a cast housing on a cast mount. Don't want to run them in and out without necessity.

I knew we didn't have time to run it long last night, just breaking it down into "It starts" and then get setup to concentrate on that part today.

I am feeling pretty good these days, but it will take a few months for a full recovery. Muscle mass and stamina need rebuilt. So I take chunks of time- especially things that involve lifting or leaning over. No sense aggravating back troubles. So far, so good

Running up to temp and retorquing....good idea! I've not done this step in the past, but I plan on it this time. I want to be SURE everything is right before buttoning back up and replacing all the top "stuff"

I don't mind the work, but my "seat vs hood" time is really in arrears

The path I'm on, maybe I should just buy a boat, move beside a lake and call it a day. Go "Full-Tugly"

I hear it is the only way to cure the "Stinky virus" Doesn't sound like a bad way to go

Old 12-13-2017 | 07:22 AM
ExPACamper
|
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous
Big congrats!

Thanks Sous! After all the delays and complications, I think I deserve a mullet! LOL.

Old 12-13-2017 | 10:07 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Nice man! I look forward to hearing about some seat time.

Old 12-13-2017 | 10:32 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Pretty much sums it up.

Old 12-13-2017 | 10:50 AM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
Veteran: Air Force
FTE Emeritus
Holy crap! Real life Joe Dirt!

Old 12-13-2017 | 11:29 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Congrats!

I hope mine starts as quickly as yours did when the time comes!

Old 12-13-2017 | 11:32 AM
ExPACamper
|
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Pretty much sums it up.
Hahaha!

What am I going to post about? LOL

Old 12-13-2017 | 11:34 AM
ExPACamper
|
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brian42
Congrats!

I hope mine starts as quickly as yours did when the time comes!
Absolutely! I'm working on a procedure to stack that deck

Old 12-13-2017 | 11:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
...The path I'm on, maybe I should just buy a boat, move beside a lake and call it a day. Go "Full-Tugly"
It worked for me... I'm all better now.

Old 12-13-2017 | 05:26 PM
ExPACamper
|
Post Fiend
Update:

I started the Excursion today with the proper tune. It took an extended cranking to start, but likely still a bunch of air in the system everywhere I guess.

It was running quite rough for a bit, then smooth out as it idled up. Lopey.

I was hoping for smoother, but maybe this is the way this Economy Single Shot tune is going to be? Might have to live with it. But doggone, it sounds like it is missing some....

After running a few mins, I shut down and figure I will check the electrical connector on that passenger side and put the A/C compressor back on its mount and install the serpentine belt, so the alternator can do its thing, as well as the water pump and stuff.

When I was doing that, I realized I had not plugged in that passenger side UVCH harness

My little "4 cylinder" sounded MEAN

Sooo.....

She sounds MUCH better with BOTH banks functioning, LOL. I let her warm up to nearly 140F

I RETORQUED the injector bottom bolts. All but one took some turning. I think 2 or 3 were about a turn or so. Most were 1/4-1/2 turn. Copper washers successfully CRUSHED! LOL.

I checked the rocker arm bolts. All but one on the drivers side, and a couple on the passenger side. Not one needed any turns or budged.

BTW, I noticed my little torque wrench has in-lbs and also Nm. The Nm went to high enough numbers to make "240 Nm" Is that good enough? I mean Newton was a pretty smart fellow, right? . Just kidding, I used my larger torque wrench for those bolts.

She seems to run okay, but every once in a while gets a little half-skip. Now I don't have the intake on yet. Both CAC tubes are off. The Green Vacuum tube has nowhere to attach....Probably why?

The EBPV and high idle did kick on as usual after a bit to warm up. Glad it is still enabled in this tune

I only have the one tune so far, looks like "60 hp" Not sure why they printed the "Gearhead" logo upside down, LOL.

Position 09 is where I put this tune. Boy, I had forgotten how simple the Hydra Flash software is to use. It will only print to your default printer, though (bug). So if you want to print to PDF to save a copy of your configurations, you have to make doPDF or whatever you use as default printer.

I bought and installed the optional USB connector that I have stuffed up under the dash. Key off and out of ignition, plug in the USB cable, start the software, Hydra lights up. Simple

She is still a little "off" but I confirmed each injector is spitting little bits of oil (video later). I'm hoping the "off" is just due to air not worked out yet.

I found 3 of 4 glowplug connectors were not tight at all on the drivers side. I squeezed them a little with pliers and put them back on. They are tight now. 4 more HP added

So right now the driver's side valve cover is back on, the CCV box is on. GPCM is on.

Still off is Intake, both CAC tubes, passenger side valve cover, A/C compressor will have to come off to get the passenger vc on, then be remounted, along with the serpentine belt.

I *considered* removing the ground wire from the AIH I deleted (on the stud I fabricated for the billeted intake), but instead I loosened the nut and pivoted it around and then removed the center aft bolt of my alternator and put the (previously AIH) wire end just under the head of the bolt and tightened both side.

I have the 140amp (I looked it up, I think I said 135amp by mistake elsewhere) alternator, which required a little rear mount grinding and added some washers between the alternator case and its mount to gain some clearance from the radiator hose.

You can just see the washers in this pic.

I noticed not long ago the washers are galvanized but had a little corrosion on them. Not very good for grounding via the case, I thought. I had planned to add a ground wire, now I have one

Anyone know of a problem by adding a ground wire to the bolt? I figure it was supposed to be grounded to the engine via the mount, now it is grounded to the block via wire

Well, that's it for tonight. I was laying on my chest too long and started to not feel so well. Temporary, but let me know it was time to stop for the day. Small bites, chew well, and the project will soon be done

Old 12-13-2017 | 05:54 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
John, I mounted the ground cable to bolt on the alternator then to frame, you can see it behind the coolant filter. I also ran an additional cable from the alternator to the passenger side battery.

Old 12-13-2017 | 06:19 PM
ExPACamper
|
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Colorado350
John, I mounted the ground cable to bolt on the alternator then to frame, you can see it behind the coolant filter. I also ran an additional cable from the alternator to the passenger side battery.
Looks like about 4/0 for the red? Makes me ask why your ground is so much smaller then?

Old 12-13-2017 | 06:35 PM
ExPACamper
|
Post Fiend
More video:

Running with BOTH banks working

Not sure why the sound skips. The original pre-youtube upload/conversion didn't have skips but had a little wind-noise from the fan. Maybe it filters that automatically?

Old 12-13-2017 | 06:36 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Yes, 4/0, from my research the ground didn't need to be as large as the positive side. I was actually shipped the wrong size, they credited me 50% if I'd keep the 4/0. So I made the 4/0 work, hoping this will increase my battery life. I also ran 4/0 from the passenger side battery to the DS.

Quick Reply: Injectors...favorite TOOLS?