Sponsored by: Moser

1977 F250 custom 4X4 7.3 IDI / 5 speed swap / build

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017 | 08:27 PM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Spare tire carrier

At first I thought I might build a roof rack and put it up there... after throwing the tire up there that was a bit ridiculous...
I might still build a roof rack someday that would double like a headache rack for long Lumber or big ladders but the spare tire up there was just too much.
So I decided I would mount it underneath similar to a stock truck in the back.
There were several obstacles to overcome. One of the biggest of the tow hitch that my dad put in was right in the way so I had to cut it out and refabricate it to go around the tire.
The fact that I am using a military 37 for a spare did not help anything either. I put the tire on a stock 7 1/2 inch rim to gain all the ground clearance I could.

The next challenge was there is no room for the cable reel due to the gas tank. So I inverted it I put the cable reel on the tire and fabricated brackets off of the gas tank straps for the foot at the end of the cable to go into.
I got the spare tire cable reel out of a mid 2000's Dodge Ram 1500 the one with those huge 20 inch wheels it was one of the bigger cable reels I had seen while browsing the wrecking yard.
I've then fabricated a crank handle out of a 1929 Ford hand crank starter and a 1/2 inch Drive swivel. then mounted an old impact socket that didn't belong to a set to the cable reel.
I also used a couple quick clips to attach the reel to the spare wheel. At first I was not doing that but it proved to be very helpful it is already cumbersome enough when you're not having to fight to keep that cable reel in the lug nut holes.
It doesn't really hang down any farther than other spare tires that go in the back and it doubles as a gas tank skid plate hahaha

Attached Images                       

Last edited by ClaySylvester; 02-18-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-18-2017 | 08:36 PM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Spare tire carrier

Forgot this pic!

Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2017 | 08:53 PM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Receiver hitch modifications

Way back in the early 80's when my dad first lifted this truck and put in the tow hitch he built this drop receiver.

It had a regular gusset in there but I cut it out and put this TMR customs bottle opener gusset in. Also the bottom plate where the ball mounted was slightly bent down so I decided to Beef It Up with a couple pieces of half inch stock.
I also added in a step to make it easier to climb in the bed. Let's face it I'm not getting any younger and I can't climb in and out of there like a monkey like I did when I was a kid.

I don't seem to have a picture of it but my dad also drilled a hole going top to bottom on the Square Tubing so that you can put the hitch in sideways so it parallels the bumper if you're off roading or whatever.

Attached Images     

Last edited by ClaySylvester; 02-18-2017 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-19-2017 | 02:40 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Receiver hitch modifications

Found that pic where it locks in sideways.

Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2017 | 02:54 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
LED headlights

I had a pair of glass hella H4 conversion headlights and I decided to go LED so far so good super bright.
Had to do some modifications to the water / dust boot due to the fans on the back of the bulbs.
I got the LED's on Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Attached Images       
Old 02-19-2017 | 03:01 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Tool box

I decided to go ahead and repair my dad's toolbox.
It had some cracks in the corners needed some welding and some dents pounded out somewhat I didn't get to crazy it's a toolbox.
I went ahead and put a air quick disconnect in the tool box as well.

Attached Images      
Old 02-19-2017 | 03:15 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Better tires

The tires I have on the truck for mach up are in pretty bad shape 2 are badly cracked and none have very high tread. The rims are also way to wide for the truck and the tires.

I can't complain got them for mach up on Craigslist 4 tires with rims and a 5th tire loose for $200 they served there purpose I kept the best one for my spare and was able to sell the 4 with rims for $150.

Browsing eBay I found 4 Goodyear 37's delivered for $380 from Arizona so I swooped on that and mounted them on the steel wheels my dad already had on the truck.

Attached Images     
Old 02-19-2017 | 03:36 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Shocks and helper bags

I decided to switch all the shocks over to loop loop mount. Alot because I had a set of doeschtech shocks and because there seems to be more options for loop loop down the road.

The fronts I used the lower mount off the 88 F350 and just drilled the stock upper. All the original mounts are in place should I want to go back to the stock style shock.

On the rears I cut the perches off the rear end and moved them up so they don't hang below the axle tube don't need any rock grabbers hanging down. On the top I used a conversion bracket from fab tech I picked up locally.

The air bags are not ideal but I got them out of the Wrecking yard for $25.... Don't mind it being stretched out I have the suspension at full hang you can see the air jack in the back. I plan to get some double billow bags later but for now these will do for my move I have a 7000+lb camper and a 8000lb+ tractor load to haul 1000 miles north...

Attached Images       

Last edited by ClaySylvester; 02-19-2017 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-19-2017 | 04:01 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Adding switches to the dash

Drilled the dash for all the rocker switches. Between the lights, air compressor, rear bags are going to be on solenoids.
I decided to put in seat warmers as well I put the rocker for that in the middle.
I did put in one extra Incase I add more lights or something later.

Attached Images    
Old 02-19-2017 | 04:33 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Bed tie downs

Welded in some little d rings in the bed so there's plenty of tie downs.

Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2017 | 04:36 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Mud flaps

Decided to put mud flaps on, no one likes having debris or rocks thrown up on there car.

Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2017 | 05:35 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Heater / A/C box rebuild

I had 2 heat a/c boxes from the Wrecking yard took the best from each.
Got a heater core from the local parts house. I made all new foam for the flaps from packaging foam. Just used the 3M 90 glue to put it on.
I insulated the under side of the box with frost king self adhesive duct insulation.

Attached Images                   
Old 02-19-2017 | 05:40 AM
ClaySylvester
|
Senior User
Heater / A/C box rebuild

Missed the pic of it back together!!

... Apparently I didn't but I can't figure out how to delete a post either so here it is again

Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2017 | 08:52 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Loving this build! You are very creative. I especially like your spare tire set up. Good job!

David

Old 02-19-2017 | 10:32 AM
JakeHan
Elder User
That's an interesting take on the spare tire carrier - I have to look around at what I've got in the scrap pile now.... I was thinking about a modified stock carrier, with a winch out in the passenger rear corner to get the max. clearance, but maybe it isn't enough to worry about. Spare tires in the box suck, they're always in the way, even if you have a flatbed.

Where are you moving to?

Quick Reply: 1977 F250 custom 4X4 7.3 IDI / 5 speed swap / build