2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Back in the game, bought 2017 Platinum 250 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:01 PM
MRyanF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the game, bought 2017 Platinum 250 today

Well, I have been over on the F150 side of things since I sold my 2005 Excursion in 2013 but now I am back with my new fruck, a F250 Platinum Crew cab.

Didnt get to bring it home though, its getting lift, wheels (Fuel Rampage Black and Chrome), tires Toyo (37s), bedliner done at the dealer.

I have to say, I have never bought accessories at the dealer like this before, but its nice. Made it simple for me, and they beat the price of the offroad shop I would have gone to anyways.

I wanted a bed cover but the dealer said it wasnt available yet, and also to add subwoofers to the stereo, but also not a good solution out yet apparently.

This is also my first 6.7 so excited to give it a shot.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:33 PM
SBC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they just have it for sale on the lot? Have to get us some pictures when you get it. Losing sleep dreaming about my new one.(three more weeks hopefully)

Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 PM
MRyanF
Senior User
Yes, I went in to check my spot on the Raptor order list and was looking at these, they had 5 platinum ones in, but they were all sold supposedly. But one guy backed out so they offered it to me. At sticker. I said no, went home and they text me later to ask if I was interested in it. I told him Yes at invoice less $1000. They took it, so here I am.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Ozzie318
Freshman User
Congratulations!! You will LOVE it!! My first 6.7 also and it's just awesome!!! The platinums in this area are all selling before they arrive also, waiting list for them in case someone backs out. Noticing a few Lariats on the lots now though. Good decision, enjoy!!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:46 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 542 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by MRyanF
Well, I have been over on the F150 side of things since I sold my 2005 Excursion in 2013 but now I am back with my new fruck, a F250 Platinum Crew cab.

Didnt get to bring it home though, its getting lift, wheels (Fuel Rampage Black and Chrome), tires Toyo (37s), bedliner done at the dealer.

I have to say, I have never bought accessories at the dealer like this before, but its nice. Made it simple for me, and they beat the price of the offroad shop I would have gone to anyways.

I wanted a bed cover but the dealer said it wasnt available yet, and also to add subwoofers to the stereo, but also not a good solution out yet apparently.

This is also my first 6.7 so excited to give it a shot.
Good for you. These trucks are one of the nicest vehicles I ever been in. The factory stereo does have a subwoofer. There is no difference in audio systems between a Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum, unfortunately. Only the XLT is a step down from the Lariat, and the XL is a step down from that. The stock system is decent, but nothing to write home about. Some tracks sound better than others.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:52 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MRyanF
Yes, I went in to check my spot on the Raptor order list and was looking at these, they had 5 platinum ones in, but they were all sold supposedly. But one guy backed out so they offered it to me. At sticker. I said no, went home and they text me later to ask if I was interested in it. I told him Yes at invoice less $1000. They took it, so here I am.
That's a great deal.
One has to wonder why they are willing to drop the pricing without even being pressured to do so. I mean, these trucks aren't going to sit on the lot very long at all. I guess they really feel the need to move them as fast as possible. Heck, I'd use those trucks as a lure to get buyers into the lot to look at everything else they have.
I never even haggled with my dealer, he just wrote it out, gave me what I wanted for my truck and it all worked out to be under what I was looking to spend. He knocked all kinds of $$$ off without me pressuring him.
I'm definitely not complaining but it just seems odd to me. But then again, this is my first ever new vehicle purchase.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:07 AM
troverman
Hotshot
There are several reasons why a dealer might do this. First off, he is paying interest on the loans he borrowed to buy the cars from the manufacturer. The longer they sit and do not sell, the more interest he pays. A Platinum Super Duty diesel is one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive, vehicle on a dealer's lot. Sometimes it can be hard to sell a $75k+ vehicle. The other factor to consider is the hold-back. Basically, Ford will pay the dealer a percentage of the invoice price as a rebate of sorts once the vehicle sells. The percentage is probably 3-4%. As the vehicle sits, the money the dealer would get from the hold-back gets eaten away by the interest he's paying. A bird in the hand situation would be to sell to you for invoice minus $1000 and make a quick $1500 plus the doc fees. If it sits for 10 months on the lot, the hold back disappears and now selling at invoice is a no-profit situation. So sometimes buying a car as soon as it arrives is the cheapest way.

The other reason a dealer wants to sell so quickly is for allocation. The more units he can sell, the more allocation he can get of that model. Ford rewards dealers with high sales volume by given them more allocation for a particular model. In the case of the 2017 Super Duty, most dealers want as many as they can get.

I bought mine on X-plan. Its basically invoice pricing but no fees. On a brand-new, in-demand model like the 2017 Super Duty, I think its a pretty decent deal.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:29 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
There are several reasons why a dealer might do this. First off, he is paying interest on the loans he borrowed to buy the cars from the manufacturer. The longer they sit and do not sell, the more interest he pays. A Platinum Super Duty diesel is one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive, vehicle on a dealer's lot. Sometimes it can be hard to sell a $75k+ vehicle. The other factor to consider is the hold-back. Basically, Ford will pay the dealer a percentage of the invoice price as a rebate of sorts once the vehicle sells. The percentage is probably 3-4%. As the vehicle sits, the money the dealer would get from the hold-back gets eaten away by the interest he's paying. A bird in the hand situation would be to sell to you for invoice minus $1000 and make a quick $1500 plus the doc fees. If it sits for 10 months on the lot, the hold back disappears and now selling at invoice is a no-profit situation. So sometimes buying a car as soon as it arrives is the cheapest way.

The other reason a dealer wants to sell so quickly is for allocation. The more units he can sell, the more allocation he can get of that model. Ford rewards dealers with high sales volume by given them more allocation for a particular model. In the case of the 2017 Super Duty, most dealers want as many as they can get.

I bought mine on X-plan. Its basically invoice pricing but no fees. On a brand-new, in-demand model like the 2017 Super Duty, I think its a pretty decent deal.
Good explanation.
My dealer told me my deal was better than X plan and I found out he was right. We tried to get A plan, as one of my wife's relatives works in a nice big building in Dearborn, but my wife isn't an immediate family member, so no dice there.
But we told him what our numbers were and he confirmed it was better than X plan. But it's not like I bought a truck that was on the lot, I had to order it.
I think he had to do some juggling to get to those numbers though. When we originally worked out the deal it was late on a Saturday. I think my dealer was in a hurry to get out on the town with the ladies, and basically said "Yeah, yeah" to a lot of the items we added on. When I came in on Monday to place my order he had totally forgotten some of the things he promised. It took him a while to get the numbers worked out. That 5th wheel hitch and spray in bedliner is a lot more $$ than what he thought they were.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:51 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
Good explanation.
My dealer told me my deal was better than X plan and I found out he was right. We tried to get A plan, as one of my wife's relatives works in a nice big building in Dearborn, but my wife isn't an immediate family member, so no dice there.
But we told him what our numbers were and he confirmed it was better than X plan. But it's not like I bought a truck that was on the lot, I had to order it.
I think he had to do some juggling to get to those numbers though. When we originally worked out the deal it was late on a Saturday. I think my dealer was in a hurry to get out on the town with the ladies, and basically said "Yeah, yeah" to a lot of the items we added on. When I came in on Monday to place my order he had totally forgotten some of the things he promised. It took him a while to get the numbers worked out. That 5th wheel hitch and spray in bedliner is a lot more $$ than what he thought they were.
X-plan is ever so slightly under invoice. Depending upon what your dealer / doc fees are, your price probably is better but only by a few hundred bucks.

Now, if he gave you that price and included a 5th wheel hitch and a bedliner, he's making virtually nothing on that truck.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:09 AM
msdt-99517
Senior User
I got 2k back of invoice, they have 2k hold back.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Kampn
Senior User
I went into the dealer with an X-plan too. They told me they could beat it and they showed me both sets of numbers and their deal was indeed cheaper. I should have looked into this before I went to all the trouble of getting qualified for the X plan :-O

Old 10-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on a great deal, best thing is you have a truck!