6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Jolly Green Giant...2015 F-350 KR DRW

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020 | 12:51 AM
Sailor Roy
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by nitrogen
Inquiring minds need to know, how many planets does this small rooftop solar system have? Ha ha
Six of them..... Two of them each have one moon.......

Old 09-10-2020 | 10:14 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
True confession time: With my last two trucks, 2014 F350 and the 2017 F450 I have currently, I purchased full maintenance agreements. I take it in to the Quick Lane at my Ford dealership every 5K miles and they take care of the rest, including topping off DEF. The only time I need to add DEF myself is when we are towing and the truck goes through it a lot faster.

By the way, I have a question regarding the Continental HSR 19.5's on my F450. I just had to replace the fronts at about 40K and I was a bit surprised by that. The rears still look almost like new, but the shoulders on the fronts were worn down enough that they told me they could not balance them and I was starting to get a little vibration at around 55 mph. Any thoughts out there in truck land?
Hello, Steve. On the rotating tires and duallies; all I ever do is just swap the steer tires side to side every 7500 miles. On both of my Ford DRW (F350’s) with 17” wheels, that seemed to keep them wearing evenly. The ‘16 was bumping 60,000 miles and looked like they had another 10,000 in them. Now, on my brand X truck that I am driving now, I probably won’t get that kind of mileage out of them from all appearances at this time. As far as rotating the rears on a dually, I have found it to be a lot of work for little gain.
Good luck.

EDIT: PS. This is the same as I did on the big trucks too, and I was consistently getting over 100,000 on a set of steer tires that way.

Old 09-10-2020 | 10:41 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Thanks, I thought about doing just that. Part of the reason I didn't go that way is the wheels. The inner wheels on the rear are steel. Outers are polished aluminum, like the fronts, but the aluminum wheels only appear to be polished on the outward facing side. In other words, you'd have to unmount and remount all six to rotate them.

Ford puts the HSR on all six tire positions. In theory, Continental calls it a "steering axle" tread design. Continental also makes the HDR for drive axles to go with it, but Ford doesn't use it. I'm not sure why not.
I am looking at getting actual steering tires for my F450, thinking toyo, they have a tire with a solid shoulder. my fronts are cupping at 14,000 miles and the continental tires love to follow road seams and ruts.

Old 09-10-2020 | 11:21 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by helifixer
I am looking at getting actual steering tires for my F450, thinking toyo, they have a tire with a solid shoulder. my fronts are cupping at 14,000 miles and the continental tires love to follow road seams and ruts.
You are so right about the HSR's following road seams and ruts. I had almost forgotten how bad that tendency is when they are new until I just replaced them. In my experience, it gets better after 5K or so, but never completely goes away. I will be interested to hear what you end up with and how they work out.

Old 09-10-2020 | 11:31 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by 99150
Hello, Steve. On the rotating tires and duallies; all I ever do is just swap the steer tires side to side every 7500 miles. On both of my Ford DRW (F350’s) with 17” wheels, that seemed to keep them wearing evenly. The ‘16 was bumping 60,000 miles and looked like they had another 10,000 in them. Now, on my brand X truck that I am driving now, I probably won’t get that kind of mileage out of them from all appearances at this time. As far as rotating the rears on a dually, I have found it to be a lot of work for little gain.
Good luck.

EDIT: PS. This is the same as I did on the big trucks too, and I was consistently getting over 100,000 on a set of steer tires that way.
About a month ago I had taken my F450 in for service related to a safety recall that Ford sent to me. It had to do with a defective steering damper that needed to be replaced. I was told that it was not actually a recall, but rather a notice to owners that the warranty was being extended on that part due to reported problems. I told the dealer that I was experiencing the issues the notice identified, including vibration in the steering wheel after hitting expansion cracks in the highway. They did the diagnostics and test drives and agreed that my truck did have the problem. They replaced the damper and drag links and realigned the truck and recalibrated the lane-keeping system and some other stuff. They said that in order to complete the repair, they needed to rebalance the front tires. But, they said they could not do so because the tread depth was below the spec for doing that. That is what drove me to get the new tires.

I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but thought I'd pass it along.

Old 09-10-2020 | 11:35 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
You are so right about the HSR's following road seams and ruts. I had almost forgotten how bad that tendency is when they are new until I just replaced them. In my experience, it gets better after 5K or so, but never completely goes away. I will be interested to hear what you end up with and how they work out.
hjere is what I have been thinking about getting.
https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/toyo-...86eb84a7f71890

Old 09-10-2020 | 11:40 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Club FTE Gold Member
I want to share a "find" that I made today with all you folks that enjoy working on RV's. I was trying to replace a couple of rocker switches in our DRV with lighted rocker switches so that I could easily see if they are on or not. However, I was trying to find lighted rocker switches that would be direct replacements for the switches in the rig now so that they would cover the cutout holes correctly. (I think they make the cutouts in the panel with a chain saw.)

I was able to find the name of the manufacturer of the existing switches and that is American Technology Components in Elkhart, IN. On their website I found the exact switch I wanted and sent them an email. They immediately responded that I had the correct switch but that they only sell in cases of 300. However, they directed me to PDX RV Wholesale as a dealer that I could buy small quantities from. When I went to their website I was amazed to find that they carry EVERYTHING we have all looked for for our RV's.

Roy, if you really want to get into RV repair, you need this website. Here is the link: https://pdxrvwholesale.com

Old 09-10-2020 | 01:12 PM
Sailor Roy
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
I want to share a "find" that I made today with all you folks that enjoy working on RV's. I was trying to replace a couple of rocker switches in our DRV with lighted rocker switches so that I could easily see if they are on or not. However, I was trying to find lighted rocker switches that would be direct replacements for the switches in the rig now so that they would cover the cutout holes correctly. (I think they make the cutouts in the panel with a chain saw.)

I was able to find the name of the manufacturer of the existing switches and that is American Technology Components in Elkhart, IN. On their website I found the exact switch I wanted and sent them an email. They immediately responded that I had the correct switch but that they only sell in cases of 300. However, they directed me to PDX RV Wholesale as a dealer that I could buy small quantities from. When I went to their website I was amazed to find that they carry EVERYTHING we have all looked for for our RV's.

Roy, if you really want to get into RV repair, you need this website. Here is the link: https://pdxrvwholesale.com
That is a wonderful find........

Thank You kind Sir.....

Old 09-10-2020 | 02:33 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver
Club FTE Silver Member
When you switch the steer tires from side to side, do you break them down to turn the same way or just switch them from side to side? Didn't think you could put them on the other side and turn the other way on the road. That's why front to back?

Old 09-10-2020 | 03:01 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
That is a wonderful find........

Thank You kind Sir.....
You are entirely welcome! I am guessing many folks already knew about this site, but it was totally new to me. I can't imagine how many things I may need in the future that they have on here. And prices seem to be reasonable as well.

Old 09-10-2020 | 04:37 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
When you switch the steer tires from side to side, do you break them down to turn the same way or just switch them from side to side? Didn't think you could put them on the other side and turn the other way on the road. That's why front to back?
my dealer just does side to side front and back not breaking them down. To do a 6 way rotation is about $250.00

Old 09-10-2020 | 05:41 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver
Club FTE Silver Member
I know Costco does it for free on duallies. But I was always told not to change rotation on the tires. I guess I am wrong?

Old 09-10-2020 | 10:28 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I know Costco does it for free on duallies. But I was always told not to change rotation on the tires. I guess I am wrong?
Radial tires don't usually have any issues with doing so these days. And the issues that may come to light from doing so are usually caused by wear issues from bad alignment settings.
Personally if I go the dually route I'd want steel wheels just for the ability to rotate them. On our customers duallys we rotate front to rear inner, rear inner to outer, rear outer to front.

Old 09-11-2020 | 07:19 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
I've had dually's as daily drivers since 2008 with aluminum rims outside and steel rims inside and unless changing tires on rims and balancing them is free for life it's cheaper to just swap side to side with the price cost vs tire cost. Front tires always wear faster being pushed forward by the duallys in turns.
Going in today for 6 new tires on the '16' the oem BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A didn't last that great with only 45,000 miles, 2/3 towing the 5th wheel. Going to try Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure with Kevlar this time. Price for 6 mounted, balanced, disposal of old tires ($4.50 each) with 6.5% tax is $1,700 which was slightly cheaper than the oem tires. The price to pay for wide hips on a truck.

Old 09-11-2020 | 11:19 AM
System
Prolocutor
Club FTE Gold Member
Hey guys, I guess it's on me to be the bearer of bad news. Dave's wife Joyce passed away yesterday. Let's all keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

Quick Reply: Jolly Green Giant...2015 F-350 KR DRW