Oil & Lubrication  

synthetic for diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003 | 06:26 PM
Luker
|
New User
synthetic for diesel

I was using Rotella synthetic from Wal-mart for all of my oil changes but recently they stopped carring it. Can I use a synthetic oil not rated for a diesel engine in my powerstroke?

Old 07-05-2003 | 03:06 AM
PRIME 1
New User
synthetic for diesel

no, I would not, find a good CI-4 rated diesel oil

Old 07-06-2003 | 06:21 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
synthetic for diesel

It's not a good idea. You have to keep in mind that oil that is rated for diesel is designed to withstand higher temperatures, longer intervals, and the overall "nastier" environment of a diesel engine. Like Prime 1 said, go with a good oil that is rated for diesel.

On that note, talk to the store manager at your Walmart. I've heard from guys on here that if you talk to the manager, you can get them to stock their shelves.

XXL

Old 07-07-2003 | 10:24 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
synthetic for diesel

It is very important to use a CH-4 or CI-4 oil in a Powerstroke. One of the reasons is oil foaming. Unlike most diesels, the Powerstroke uses motor oil to activate the injectors. Oils without adequate anti-foam additive will cause problems.

Jim

Old 07-08-2003 | 01:22 PM
Rat wagon
Senior User
synthetic for diesel

1800psi at idle is required to run the injectors for the psd, I would buy a very good deisel oil for that. Deisel oil got tstuff to take care of the high sulfer content of deisel oil, which causes acid build up n'stuff without a deisel rated oil.