Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

94 7.3L idi turbo diesel. looking into ATS, Hypermax, or Banks Turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013 | 01:25 PM
ford7.3l
|
Senior User
Exclamation 94 7.3L idi turbo diesel. looking into ATS, Hypermax, or Banks Turbo kits?

Hey there guys its been awhile since I last been on here...but would be glad if you guys could give me some good feed back?

Well first of all I know these trucks weren't intended to make all that much power. With that being said I myself have a factory turbocharged idi. My question to you guys is if by upgrading to any of the 3 turbo kits listed, would improve anything on my truck?

I would jus like to add some kick to it. She has a 4in. Exhaust system from Diamond Eye performance, Also a K&N air filter.

Any suggestions would help . I hope I made some kind of sense to you guys lol.

Old 09-18-2013 | 01:48 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
pm me, I do custom work on the factory turbos that help quite a bit.

Old 09-18-2013 | 07:20 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Upgrades to your current charger will be better than a Banks, Hypermax or ATS... which btw your factory turbo ~is a 093 ATS turbo kit with a Ford emblem on it.

Old 09-18-2013 | 09:28 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
3" elbow and downpipe will help alot. get an intercooler in there and turn up the wastegate / fuel

Old 09-18-2013 | 10:17 PM
ford7.3l
|
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford F834
Upgrades to your current charger will be better than a Banks, Hypermax or ATS... which btw your factory turbo ~is a 093 ATS turbo kit with a Ford emblem on it.
Where do I go to find these upgrades?

Old 09-18-2013 | 10:20 PM
ford7.3l
|
Senior User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
3" elbow and downpipe will help alot. get an intercooler in there and turn up the wastegate / fuel
I'm almost positive the downpipe I got with the 4in. Turbo back exhaust system. Now the elbow I am unsure of to be honest with you? Where about is this elbow located and where could I buy one?

Old 09-18-2013 | 10:37 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
The down pipe connects to the elbow which is roughly 2.375" You dont buy it, you modify it. the elbow is on the exhaust housing. It necks down from 3" to the small size, you just cut it back to where the 3" is and weld on a 3" marmon flange.

After that, studs, IC, and pump / sticks will give you more.

Old 09-19-2013 | 01:01 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford7.3l
Where do I go to find these upgrades?
The turbo itself can get upgraded wheels if the exhaust housing is machined. Contact Russ (Type4) above, or Justin (R&D IDI Performance). The 3" elbow is great, except good luck finding one... You can't get the stock elbow either. Believe me, I've tried. But don't be discouraged. At stock IP fuel levels, most of your gain will come from removing the crushed factory down pipe if it has not been done already, eliminating exhaust leaks and intake leaks ( if any) and replacing the horrible factory air box with a good, free flowing cold air intake and aftermarket filter. Do you have a boost gage? Pyrometer? What are you seeing right now? You can squeeze a bit more out of the factory unit with wastegate adjustment, but you really need to have gages.

Old 09-19-2013 | 06:23 AM
ford7.3l
|
Senior User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
The down pipe connects to the elbow which is roughly 2.375" You dont buy it, you modify it. the elbow is on the exhaust housing. It necks down from 3" to the small size, you just cut it back to where the 3" is and weld on a 3" marmon flange.

After that, studs, IC, and pump / sticks will give you more.
Yeah I'll have to check that out and if not already done, then modify it as well. Now when you say IC and sticks, what exactly are you referring to if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-19-2013 | 06:30 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Yeah I'll have to check that out and if not already done, then modify it as well. Now when you say IC and sticks, what exactly are you referring to if you don't mind me asking?
IC= Intercooler
Sticks= Injectors????

Old 09-19-2013 | 06:31 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
IC = intercooler

Sticks = injectors

Old 09-19-2013 | 06:32 AM
ford7.3l
|
Senior User
The turbo itself can get upgraded wheels if the exhaust housing is machined. Contact Russ (Type4) above, or Justin (R&D IDI Performance). The 3" elbow is great, except good luck finding one... You can't get the stock elbow either. Believe me, I've tried. But don't be discouraged. At stock IP fuel levels, most of your gain will come from removing the crushed factory down pipe if it has not been done already, eliminating exhaust leaks and intake leaks ( if any) and replacing the horrible factory air box with a good, free flowing cold air intake and aftermarket filter. Do you have a boost gage? Pyrometer? What are you seeing right now? You can squeeze a bit more out of the factory unit with wastegate adjustment, but you really need to have gages.
Well to be honest with you I haven't installed any gauges. And I believe we shortened the waste gate rod a tad bit awhile back jus for ****s and giggles but it wasn't much of an adhusment . Just a slight tweak. Now my truck is equipped with a zf5 speed...I could do without the transmission guage, correct? If so, I would jus need egt gauge , boost gauge and?

Old 09-19-2013 | 06:41 AM
ford7.3l
|
Senior User
IC = intercooler

Sticks = injectors
Oh ok I got ya. Sorry bud lol.
-intercooler would be sweet! What application would work best in my situation?
-I am unaware of the injectors. I know I've replaced I believe like two and purchased them at auto zone . I believe they were Delphi's. Is there performance sticks sold else where?

Oh btw I forgot to mention that the IP on my truck is turned up a bit. Joker smokes like crazy if I get on it.

Old 09-19-2013 | 07:49 AM
lindstromjd
Elder User
If you want an intercooler, get one off a late 7.3 Super Duty or a 6.0 Super Duty. They'll fit, but both require modding.

Just my advice, but if 1 or 2 of the injectors needed replacing, then the rest aren't too far behind it. The old IDI diesels aren't like Powerstrokes where the injectors can last for 2-300k miles.

There's no such thing as "specific horsepower adding" injectors for an IDI. And only one company I know of that actually makes performance injectors, and those are designed specifically for his custom performance pump... place called Conestoga. I don't know if R+D does injectors. They both do injection pumps. TypeFour can do injectors and upgrade turbos.

One last thing... get a pyro on that truck.

Old 09-19-2013 | 08:12 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Well to be honest with you I haven't installed any gauges. And I believe we shortened the waste gate rod a tad bit awhile back jus for ****s and giggles but it wasn't much of an adhusment . Just a slight tweak. Now my truck is equipped with a zf5 speed...I could do without the transmission guage, correct? If so, I would jus need egt gauge , boost gauge and?
Right, transmission temp won't be too useful with the ZF. You need boost to know how well your turbo is working, mostly to identify a problem if you are seeing less boost than expected. Many actually wire shut or weld shut the wastegate. It is a struggle to make ~enough boost with these in stock form, so don't be shy with the wastegate. The pyrometer is critical if you turn up your pump as you have. High exhaust gas temps can melt your pistons, which will happen with too much fuel. Black smoke means you are over fueling for the amount of air you have. It is wasting fuel, filling your engine with carbon soot, cooking your upper engine and not gaining you a thing in terms of power. Turn it down until you get a light grey haze at WOT, and get a pyrometer if you plan to dabble with boost and fuel so you don't melt it down.

Quick Reply: 94 7.3L idi turbo diesel. looking into ATS, Hypermax, or Banks Turbo kits?