1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

New to ford.. some babble and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012 | 12:18 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
My 02 Ex has a 5.5 lift, and I go in garages marked 7',,, mind you, my wife is a basket case the whole time, however nothing has hit. You should be fine, good luck with the new rig and Congrats!

Old 01-15-2013 | 11:28 AM
nullop
|
Senior User
Finally got a VIN from them today. They had apparently fired the sales guy I was working with (Not that firing someone should prevent Fords factory from building a truck). Anyhow, it left the factory and is expected in Washington within 2 weeks.

When I had asked about Priority, they said it was submitted as an '11' and their options were '11-19'.

Either way, this dealer has been fairly painful to deal with, once the truck arrives I'll find a new dealer for service.

On the upside, my Diamondback cover arrived via fedex freight yesterday, so that was quick and on time.. Now I can drag that Arctic Cat without the trailer!

Erik

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:00 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver
Club FTE Silver Member
Deal with parking garage at my sons dr. I just stratle the height signs, only go up 1 floor max and we are good to go. You should see some of the faces while driving buy and I bump the plastic pipe hanging down with the back rack doesn't matter to me as long as I don't hit the lightbar.

Being a stock truck I think you will be okay.

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:07 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
problem is all the old parking garages where meant for cars and such back in the day, then full size trucks became the big boys they are now, BUT were going through this eco friendly let me go buy a electric prius so when they do make a new parking garage they make it 6 foot tall

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:35 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
My 02 Ex has a 5.5 lift, and I go in garages marked 7',,, mind you, my wife is a basket case the whole time, however nothing has hit.
My stock-height '07 w/34" tires scraped its roof once going up a ramp in a parking garage. I was very annoyed. It just really depends, because it's not only the height but how it's configured. If there's a steep ramp with a low overhang, the front end of your truck will start up the ramp before the rear end leaves level ground, raising the roof of the rig as it goes until eventually the rear tires get on the ramp as well. If there's a low overhang, you may find yourself up against it. That's what happened to me.

As far as methods, really I would just not park in the garage if you don't fit. If you do fit, great, but such tight garages can often be a pain regardless. That said, what you're talking about is basically what's referred to in the rock crawling world as a "suck-down winch" that pulls your axle up to the frame, compressing the suspension. This is done for stability and maneuvering through waterfall climbs and other obstacles. It's not something I would really recommend for your truck, though there's no reason it can't work. It'll just be added complexity and weight for a seemingly unnecessary reason.

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:41 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
I just whacked the crap out of the roof of my truck parking at Pitt. Children's Hospital last week. Clearance sign at entrance, 7'. Sign inside that I hit, less than 7'. The sign was plastic, lightweight, and luckily hanging by wire so it moved (it had arrows directing traffic within parking garage) but if you're going to warn about 7' at the entrance, that should be the lowest point!

By the way, to the OP, congrats on the VIN assignment, delivery should be close!

Old 01-15-2013 | 04:17 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
forget the 16inch rim wont fit your truck your brakes are bigger

Old 01-16-2013 | 10:40 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
You are going to find that your truck is such a nightmare in parking garage for length and maneuverability reasons that you'll be happier just leaving it outside somewhere else. I literally could barely cram a '99 Camry into the parking spaces at a local community college parking garage (spaces were too narrow). I kept thinking - what if I had my Super Duty here? - I have to cut it into pieces and carry it out.

Old 01-16-2013 | 12:34 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Not sure of laws where you are, however last I checked here in Kalifornia, when I did a lot of work in parking structures, was whatever was on the sign, be it 6.5' or 7' that has to be the lowest possible distance, if your vehicle is damaged by a 6'8" "something" in an advertised 7' clearance, the owner of the parking garage pays to fix... and yes, this was found out the hard way, luckily, not on my vehicles, but a work truck.

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I just whacked the crap out of the roof of my truck parking at Pitt. Children's Hospital last week. Clearance sign at entrance, 7'. Sign inside that I hit, less than 7'. The sign was plastic, lightweight, and luckily hanging by wire so it moved (it had arrows directing traffic within parking garage) but if you're going to warn about 7' at the entrance, that should be the lowest point!

By the way, to the OP, congrats on the VIN assignment, delivery should be close!

Old 01-16-2013 | 01:05 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Not sure of laws where you are, however last I checked here in Kalifornia, when I did a lot of work in parking structures, was whatever was on the sign, be it 6.5' or 7' that has to be the lowest possible distance, if your vehicle is damaged by a 6'8" "something" in an advertised 7' clearance, the owner of the parking garage pays to fix... and yes, this was found out the hard way, luckily, not on my vehicles, but a work truck.
Thanks, yeah, I'm sure there's some sort of liability on their part but being at a hospital, it was the least of my concerns at the time.

I haven't checked to see if there was any scratches yet, truck's been too dirty to tell...

Old 01-16-2013 | 02:18 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
here in Kalifornia
Da, comrade. The People's Republic of КДLIFОЯИIД welcomes you.