Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10 vs the G2 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003 | 10:57 PM
DOHCmarauder
|
Postmaster
V10 vs the G2 PSD

Buddy picked up a G2 Super Cab 4X4 with 3.73's. For weeks I heard how this truck is the fastest/greatest most powerful vehicle on earth. I was curious how it would compare to my '01 Crew Cab 2WD V10 with 4.30's.

I have seen reports where the G2 destroys the diesel competition and I also heard how un-diesel like it was.

My impressions:

At idle it's no doubt a diesel!! Exhaust did seem less "smelly" than the 7.3's I work with.

Initial throttle response was better than the 7.3 but still not near the responsiveness of the V10. A few times it seemed to trip up when accelerating from a roll. A lag where nothing happened for a moment. A confused downshift maybe??

There was less drone at highway speed than the 7.3 but it was still present.

Midrange!!!! Seat of the pants mid-range was INCREDIBLE. The smoothness of the trans and power output were very deceiving. You had to watch the speedo needle to see how FAST 60-80+ was. The V10 4 speed downshifts harder and is turning more RPM and making more noise but I don't think it pulls harder during this test. I hope the 5speed auto becomes available for future gassers.

The G2 owner is very conservative and would not run 'em side by side but he seemed to agree that the V10 would be quicker to at least 60ish.(after driving mine)

I "think" roll ons the PSD would win.

He wants to wait till 1000 miles to hook up what trailers we have.

I'll concede any tow off on steep hills(+135 lbs feet of torque has to show up somewhere) but I'm curious as to the difference on level ground with like loads.

I like the truck but I'm not convinced the added cost is worth what little performance difference there may be. (at least empty at this point)

Old 03-03-2003 | 10:39 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
V10 vs the G2 PSD

What is the 0-60 time of the V10? I've heard that the new power stroke is 9.0 seconds. Even if the V10 is faster, that's incredible acceleration from a diesel. Mine seems to have a 0-60 time of about 1/2 hour.