Sponsored by:

Considering a new Head Unit, with NAV/DVD...etc? Check this;

Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering a new Head Unit, with NAV/DVD...etc? Check this;

Okay... I had to share...

I've been steering clear of a new head unit since 2000. See, I owned a 2000 V10, and traded it in for a 2005 PSD. But, for those years I've owned an EX... I've always admired Navigation in the head unit and thought it's just one more thing to steal. Plus, I already used a Garmin streetpilot 7500 for ALL my forward monitor needs (as it did XM, Traffic, Video, MP3, etc) as it was a large 7" display. However, I had to take it down each night, so it wouldn't get stolen (already, one had been stolen via someone wanting it more than me and breaking my side window) as it was in plain sight at the window pillar (passenger side).

I have a buddy, who is a strict Alpine dealer. And I've watched him put in dual din Alpine units on all my buddies vehicles. But, I've always stayed clear due to the Navigation being proprietary and not working with my Garmin based NAV and files (waypoints, tracks, maps...etc). Well, recently I found that Kenwood uses Garmin! WOO HOO! That allows me to upload my maps of Baja, and TOPO ... and upgrade via Garmin if needed. Pretty cool, as now I can remove my Garmin 7500 and solely use my Head Unit. No more large GPS on the pillar.

I found that also, I could integrate my steering wheel controls via a SWI-Jack. Easy enough. I also wanted to be able to use XM, and my iPod. Lastly, I wanted a back up camera... and one that I could also switch on as I'm going down the road (why? I don't know... "just cuz" I suppose). The only dilemna I'm having... is I have to use an antenna adapter (GTM-10) for my Nav Traffic... and I'm still debating if it's worth it or not.

If you research head units and what fits (aside from contacting a local high-end stereo installer) you'll find that most head units these days are DUAL DIN. Crutchfield for example, will tell you "Does not fit" on most all the nice NAV units you find. Well, our EXs are not dual din dash cutouts. "No problem" said my stereo buddy... you can make it fit. OKaaaay... so, I found the proper head unit, a KENWOOD 9140. It does it all, and I bought a refurb (still pisses my buddy off, but he understands the Garmin need of mine) for under $1000 from a local dealer. All said and done, I was just over $1200 out the door with a 3yr extended warranty and all my adapters needed to run whatever adjunct I wanted.

WHY this post??
Some of you may be holding back on a new NAV unit that does it all, do to the FIT in the vehicle dash. Well, don't!! It works out, and I'll post some pictures of what I did to make it work... and work perfectly (at the risk of again, pissing off stereo installers and the secret of how well it works).

Here (referring to the pictures below), I've removed all the factory equipment, wired in the new unit and have slid it back into the stock opening. The radio itself, sits on the OEM rail that the old radio would slide in, and be supported by. That rail is welded into the dash cross member. Pretty solid.

Also, the front of the radio is sitting on a 1" wide piece of aluminum that extends an inch to each side of the radio. That alum. sits on the plastic dash walls to each side of the radio and actually holds it level, and up high against the top of the radio opening (NO RADIO SLEEVE is being used).

There's two 3" long alum brackets bent at 1" in a 90° angle to each side of the radio. Countersunk screws mount to the radio and a 1" long self tapping screw is countersunk in the angled material and drilled through the lower alum bracket and into the plastic base of the dash. A very solid mount I must say, and it allows you to align the radio in/out of the opening to match the climate controls and your dash cutout.

The dash cutout;
The cutting of the opening in your dash is critical (easy for the dremel lovers). You must ONLY cut the top and bottom of the opening at first. Leaving the sides as "wings" if you will. Those wings will need to extend back into the dash and passed the radio flange or bezel. This way, you won't have any gaps or won't be able to see your cuts from either driver or passenger seats. If you cut the sides flush with the upper and lower, you'll be bummed when they look like a 'hack' job install when your done. Take your time, and fit the dash BEFORE you drill the radio mounts. This will allow you to align it all and have you dash fit snugly up against the radio bezel.

One thing that helped me, was to align the radio bezel nearly even with the climate controls. However, once I was done trimming the dash, I moved one side forward a 1/16" or so to snug it up against the dash perfectly.

I'm excited to share this with you all, as it's one of two things that kept me from buying DUAL DIN units. One was fit, and the other being the Garmin part of the Navigation. I also know this might be old news to you, as you either took it upon yourself to find out... or had an installer do it for you. Either way, there might still be some (like me) who had held back and didn't venture into DUAL-DIN units because of their own reasons. But, I'm happy to say... I did finally! And wanted to share my own install with you to possibly aid in your purchase options. ... ENJOY!

Here's some pictures to go along with the description;

You can pick MANY angles to reduce glare with this unit;

You can also make a custom SPLASH screen, a cool feature;

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm here to help!!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 PM
vinnyfl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post! Thanks for the information. I will be using it.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:36 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
I love all the cool features, but I'm not sold on the gaps around the radio.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 PM
rjp1965
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hwybee22
I love all the cool features, but I'm not sold on the gaps around the radio.
I agree re: the gaps. Is there no one that offers trim bezels that would work? Perhaps on a unit with a slightly smaller display?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
There are install kits for these types of installs. The kit gives you the pieces that make it fit with NO gaps. Its a minor detail that some must have and others shrug off. I think that it looks amaing and I cannot wait to put a Kenwood DNX9960(The new version) in my wifes beast! Good job man!

There is no comparison to an integrated DVD/NAV/IPOD unit and the best part that Johny didnt mention:

BUILT IN BLUETOOTH! You never have to take your hands off the wheel! Audio plays through your speakers as clear as a stinkin' bell and the mic can be placed anywhere you want in the vehicle.

This unit is also voice controlled! Oh yes! It's on like Donkey Kong!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
The Gaps...

Those gaps above and below are necessary... being the screen moves, and has an armature the pushes the screen out flat for access to the SD Memory Card. On the sides, it could be a little tighter, but only by an 1/8" of an inch or so.

I never liked them either, but you really don't notice any gap once you realize why there is such a space. And a portion of it, can be made to look smaller if you use a different screen angle.

I'm loving this Head Unit more and more as I drive... so nice, so convenient. And the speech commands once I learn them... help A LOT! No more pushing the screen buttons to simply change from XM to iPod, or looking up an address for Navigation. The "Eco" trip thing is pretty amazing too... I tell ya, a mini computer this Head Unit IS for sure.

I'll take some better pictures tomorrow that show the spaces around the radio.... just so you get a better idea from different angles. It's a super nice size screen at 6.95" and allows for a lot of visuals... even a picture in picture (example; using the Navigation and watching the back up cam in PiP)

Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Auburn_in
Senior User
i just installed an Alpine ina-w900 this weekend.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Good post! Reps given!

I like the slight gaps. I saw where someone once took their stock radio and carefully cut the front face off, gluing the buttons on and everything so they could use it as a faux faceplate, placing it over their double din to fool anyone looking inside their rig at night.

Those slight gaps would allow something like that to work really well.

Stewart

Old 05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
HUBBSTER
Senior User
Nice, does it accept an iPod ?

Thanks

Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Good post! Reps given!

I like the slight gaps. I saw where someone once took their stock radio and carefully cut the front face off, gluing the buttons on and everything so they could use it as a faux faceplate, placing it over their double din to fool anyone looking inside their rig at night.

Those slight gaps would allow something like that to work really well.

Stewart
Yes sir... always thought of that. It's that old-school trick... when they made fake displays that slid into the cassette deck portion of your Head Unit. I however, have a high-end alarm... GPS/phone alert...etc so I'm not as worried. If someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it.

Great thought to utilize any gaps!!

Originally Posted by HUBBSTER
Nice, does it accept an iPod ?

Thanks
Most certainly. Via an iPod adapter cable.

In fact, I just got done connecting my laptop to it... and uploaded red light camera and speed zone proximity alerts... and while I was at it, put my own in for an upcoming event where someone else will be driving my vehicle (won't they be surprised!!)

Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by Auburn_in
i just installed an Alpine ina-w900 this weekend.
Thats what my bud sells (he's an AUTH Alpine dealer).
... I like'em, but it doesn't have open-source type GPS Navigation. So I can't do much with it, other than stare at the screen and hope it's updated with the latest and greatest. Main reason I went with the Kenwood.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 AM
BigRy
Elder User
I love the Garmin maps on the kenwood, but I hate the lag speed and the slow processor of the kenwoods.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 AM
nyvp
Junior User
did you replace the oem speakers?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by BigRy
I love the Garmin maps on the kenwood, but I hate the lag speed and the slow processor of the kenwoods.
There is a tad bit more lag, apparently due to Alpine being dual core processor and the Kenwood isn't (so I hear). I've gotten used to the boot up time (I drive a diesel) as I try not to be in a hurry, and sit while the truck warms up.

Originally Posted by nyvp
did you replace the oem speakers?
Nope... still sounds incredible.

However, the unit I purchased is DSP... so it makes a movie sound incredible. I can only imagine a center channel and sub... it'd be so much nicer. (I had this in an old dually, with 2500watts of power...and it was amazing).

You can allow for space, delay and timing... placing the listener IN THE MIDDLE of the action, or the music. So nice!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
UPDATE ON "GAPS";

My installer bud... told me he could tighten up the side gaps and make it even a cleaner install (he was not trying to hurt my feelings I think on my craftmanship, or lack of) with the faceplate ABS that came with the unit. In time, I'll allow him to carve into it.

REAR ENTERTAINMENT;

I was able to splice into my rear entertainment DVD system and get the video into the overhead monitor (using my head unit as 'source'), and also still be able to use the overhead DVD/headphones...etc. For the Overhead OEM unit, I wanted to use it as a movie player too... and/or show it's movie on my dash screen. That was a pain... but, it too works.

See here for "input" photos; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8875962

And here for "output" photos; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8867725

... My installer friend, asked me not to put up this info (even though I did the work)... but, us EX owners need to stick together. So, please be secretive to who you pass it around to! As much as a public forum is 'secret' ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering a new Head Unit, with NAV/DVD...etc? Check this;