1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Recirculate in other modes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:53 PM
powerstroke6ltr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recirculate in other modes?

I know the '04 ranger has recirculate in Max A/C only. Does anyone have vacuum diagrams or know if there is a way to allow heat and a/c and recirculate in the vent and floor mode, just to the right of off??

Old 08-06-2007, 03:03 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
power,

I saw a thread - somewhere - where there is a mod to add a button to control the main vent that goes to the outside air. The button would allow recirc on any of the vent settings. I read the mod. Seemed pretty easy to do.

I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Perhaps someone else can help locate it. It exists.

CMOS

Old 08-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The vacuum plug connector (behind dash) that leads to the HVAC controls has several vacuum lines in it.

The white vacuum line controls the re-circulation door (closed at full vacuum).

The yellow vacuum line controls the floor/panel door.

I'm thinking that the mod somehow ties the white vacuum line in with the yellow line. Maybe a "T" off the white line into the yellow line, something like that.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:39 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Rock,

The mod I read was an electrical mod - !?

?

CMOS

Old 08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
powerstroke6ltr
Elder User
You sure it wasn't to trigger the a/c compressor in all modes?? I recall that one, but haven't seen a recirculate in all modes mod... Is the recirculate door somehow tied into the coolant redirect valve?? I want to be able to do recirculate in panel and floor because of the ability to change the temperature a/c or hot, have the moisture removal of a/c and not have to cool outside air... I will look to see if i can find a vacuum diagram... I have a feeling the yellow line is a PV line, and not full vacuum... If you find any leads let me know!!

Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 PM
powerstroke6ltr
Elder User
Never mind about the yellow being PV, that would only cause the door to close halfway, so it must be Full vacuum...

Old 08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
I don't think there is any particular "partial vacuum" hose. Some of the vacuum motors have two lines running to them and that's how partial vacuum is achieved at that unit. Or at least that's how I understand it. Here are some diagrams:

Last edited by Rockledge; 08-06-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM
powerstroke6ltr
Elder User
Thank you much for the diagram! Looks like I should tee blue into white then? Or yellow... diagram is a little bit confusing... Did you post 2?? The only one that shows anything is the first and it looks like a basic diagram showing tube color....

Old 08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Yes, there should be two diagrams. I've attached the other one below.

Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Rock,

Thank you!

It looks to me that it wouldn't be too hard to just mod the system to be in recirc mode all the time. Correct?

CMOS

Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
After thinking about it, the problem I see with modding the recirculation door control by way of vacuum is that, it appears that the same white line that feeds vacuum to the re-circ door is also the same source of vacuum (gray vacuum line) for the hot water control valve. At least that's my best guess as to what the gray line and associated vacuum control motor represent in the first diagram above.

In short, it appears that the re-circ door and the hot water control valve are on the same vacuum circuit. It makes sense because, in stock form, the heater control valve only gets closed when the MAX A/C mode is selected.

You wouldn't want to cut off warm coolant to the heater core in the middle of winter, which is what happens when the heater control door closes by virtue of vacuum.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
I wouldn't want my heater to recirc anyway.....it works well enough as it is! LOL

Old 08-09-2007, 05:32 PM
pgw85706
Elder User
Originally Posted by Level2
I wouldn't want my heater to recirc anyway.....it works well enough as it is! LOL
There could be times when recirc may be desired with the heater on, like behind a smelly car or on a dusty road.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Just pass the smelly cars and when its cold enuff around here for the heater, there usually is snow on the ground so there is no dust on the gravel roads. If someone wants to do the mod thats fine by me....I just don't happen to need it.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
powerstroke6ltr
Elder User
In my area on any day it smells rather nasty and I figured the recirculate on floor/panel would be beneficial. Just wondering if anyone had done it before with success because the smell is unusually annoying.... Just have to figure out a way around the heater valve shut off... Don't really want to drive around when it snows with Max A/C on... Maybe some sort of button that is hooked to a valve that opens or closes it when it gets a signal, so to signal the recirc door to open or close... Just don't know what kind of valve... My F-350 allows for heat and cool on MAX a/c but since the heater core has hot coolant in it all the time it makes for pretty warm a/c on 100+* days unfortunately...

Quick Reply: Recirculate in other modes?