HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:19 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
Hey, small world!

Tis! .... It musta been the same gust!!!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
The Power of Blue

'Was working on the next update of the Tech Thread Compilation sticky. There's some good stuff you guys come up with.

Then the doorbell rang...

I'll be embarrassing myself for quite a while getting the hang of this thing.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:55 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
'Was working on the next update of the Tech Thread Compilation sticky. There's some good stuff you guys come up with.

Then the doorbell rang...

I'll be embarrassing myself for quite a while getting the hang of this thing.
Tim Allen would be SO proud. Oh-Oh_Oh,Oh,Oh,OH,OHH!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:01 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol though Tims would have been powered by a Big Block Ford

Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 PM
abyars111
Elder User
That's a nice welder.

I'm anxious to hear what you think of the round Magnaflows. I've been considering them when my oval turbo mufflers rust out. The round seems like they'd package better under the bed. I have the stock auxiliary gas tank and my pipes are routed similar to yours.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:50 PM
71Nky
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice package there. Make sure you give us some feedback on how well it works. I should replace my old tiny welder at some time.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:37 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by abyars111
That's a nice welder.

I'm anxious to hear what you think of the round Magnaflows. I've been considering them when my oval turbo mufflers rust out. The round seems like they'd package better under the bed. I have the stock auxiliary gas tank and my pipes are routed similar to yours.
I'm gonna hit it hard and heavy tomorrow to mock up the system. Flowmasters have huge cases and the EFI fuel pump and hoses reside on the frame rail. These Magnaflows should provide sufficient air flow and less heat generation.

Originally Posted by 71Nky
Nice package there. Make sure you give us some feedback on how well it works. I should replace my old tiny welder at some time.
Why wait? Do it now. I suggest the Miller 211AS.. it's versatile as in 110v for light duty like bodywork and if ya need to weld 3/8-inch plate change the wire, use the 220V adapter, and plug'er into a 220V receptacle. It switches automatically.

I've never TIG welded so this is a totally new world. We'll see how it goes. My goal is to eventually fab up a stainless steel fuel tank.

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Tim Allen would be SO proud. Oh-Oh_Oh,Oh,Oh,OH,OHH!
Only manly grunts are allowed in FTE!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congratulations on your new welder, you got a nice one, and the right one to make that gas tank. I was a pipefitter welder by trade, so I spent a lot of hours under a hood, and tig was my favorite type of welding.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Bullseye72
Freshman User
Man, I just spent the entire day reading this thread. AWSOME. I laughed, I cried and sometimes I even threw up in my mouth a little. BTW, The wedding was post number 202. I am amazed at how much you all know. I consider myself a decent shade tree mechanic but I actually feel a little less confident in my own abilities now after being completely lost in some of these posts and terminologies. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and can't wait till the LBB is flying down the road!!

Thanks Hio for all the great entertainment!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Texasknowhow
Freshman User
Alright, just finished the entire thread as well… wow, lots happening on this build. I have to say you are providing a good mix of JY finds, refurb of the original stuff and some new items thrown in for our amazement. Also love how you get those payments from the rentals and get the next item for the shop. Please post a Youtube video soon of the engine running and let us hear it start, some throttle punches and idle as well. Details on the trans and the EFI unit will be great. I'm sticking with my '67's original FE 352 engine and may go with the edelbrock manifold and a carb in the 650 cfm range. I too am looking to get a decent bit of gas milage at highway cruise if possible. Keep it up and remember the days are only getting longer!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:34 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Randle
Congratulations on your new welder, you got a nice one, and the right one to make that gas tank. I was a pipefitter welder by trade, so I spent a lot of hours under a hood, and tig was my favorite type of welding.
Now I know whom to ask questions! You and co425! My method of learning is to learn by doing... the plan is to "skill build" with lil projects (brackets and such) and eventually graduate to more complex projects and materials.

Originally Posted by Bullseye72
Man, I just spent the entire day reading this thread. AWSOME. I laughed, I cried and sometimes I even threw up in my mouth a little. BTW, The wedding was post number 202. I am amazed at how much you all know. I consider myself a decent shade tree mechanic but I actually feel a little less confident in my own abilities now after being completely lost in some of these posts and terminologies. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and can't wait till the LBB is flying down the road!!

Thanks Hio for all the great entertainment!
Originally Posted by Texasknowhow
Alright, just finished the entire thread as well… wow, lots happening on this build. I have to say you are providing a good mix of JY finds, refurb of the original stuff and some new items thrown in for our amazement. Also love how you get those payments from the rentals and get the next item for the shop. Please post a Youtube video soon of the engine running and let us hear it start, some throttle punches and idle as well. Details on the trans and the EFI unit will be great. I'm sticking with my '67's original FE 352 engine and may go with the edelbrock manifold and a carb in the 650 cfm range. I too am looking to get a decent bit of gas milage at highway cruise if possible. Keep it up and remember the days are only getting longer!
Thanks! And glad you guys stayed tuned in for the build. It's been a long road with the LBB. As you can see, the LBB is nearly ready to pull out of dry dock for a few trials around the neighborhood. Yes, videos are a comin' soon.

"The Wedding" dawned on me while prepping to get on with reaching a milestone. It seemed to me appropriate at the time with the Old Man FE getting hitched to his young modern bride.

The Diversion 180 is the result of six months of "work". Sometimes it's easy and, as you have read, managing the rentals sometimes catches up with me.

'Got a late start today with the exhaust.. the Magnaflows are mounted directly underneath the cab with the back of the case even with the carrrier bearing. One tube will exit in front of each rear tire. I was planning to routing it out the back but it is really crowded back there considering the axle flip, the future rear-mounted Scout tank, and the tow hitch. Each side will be removable due to the crossmember modification - the head tube, the muffler center section, and the rear which turns 90°, makes a quick 45° turn, then about a 15-inch section of exit tubing. I'm using stainless lap band clamps to join the sections... each section is fully welded.

I ran out of daylight working on the rear section on the passenger side . It slipped my mind that each side has to be fabricated on its own due to the 2-inch offset of the driveline. Meaning one side is not mirror reflection of the other. DOH!.. found out the hard way but luckily a lil geometry and cutting has it exiting in the correction location... packed up the gear and came inside where it is warm. Hooey it was chilly out there (for California!).

Gotta put in a day at the office tomorrow but I'll be back at it on Saturday. 'Might even have some time to install the front swaybar.

.. I'm already planning my next project: Project Prerunner: "Big Red Dick"

Old 01-01-2015, 09:22 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Progress is progress no matter how much or how little. It's a good feeling to see something you're working on begin to take shape in front of you and know that you are ever closer to it running under its own power and being back on the road again.

You and I have the same style front sway bar (mine came from a '78 F-250 CS). I couldn't find one locally but bought one off a guy over at Fordification, in the Wanted section there. That was nearly two years ago.

In the span of time since I got the front bar, I've been looking for a factory rear sway bar from a Dentside F-100/150 or a '78/'79 Bronco (a factory sway bar designed for a 9-inch rear end). I wasn't able to locate one around my area and I have also done a LOT of online searching for one, off and on. But, finally last Friday, I located a rear sway bar assembly from a '79 Bronco! Yeah!

Now, I'm fully aware the '73-'79 F-100s and '75-'79 F-150s, '78/'79 Broncos have a 4" wider frame spread from the back of the cab out to the trailing end of the frame, than my '69 F-100. However, split that dimension in half and we're only talking a difference of two inches per side.

I think I can fabricate a couple of spacers or, make some offset end links to bridge the gap to make the rear sway bar bolt up and work.

Notice the curve in the center that fits around the 'hump' on the back of a 9-inch rear end housing.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:06 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Roger that! Moving forward is a great thing.

I picked a rear 3/4-inch AddCo swaybar in the JY a couple of years ago. I was on it like a buzzard on carrion! It was going to be okay with a shackle flip but now that the LBB has an axle flip, the bar interfered with the repositioned shocks. It appears it will be okay turned around 180° with its arms pointing rearwards. I've got the tow hitch c-clamped in position and it'll clear although a rear-mounted 22-gallon Mustang tank would be an iffy proposition.

The Bronco rear sway bar will probably work out with a couple of offset frame-mounted brackets... heavily gusseted of course. Dentside Broncos in my neck of the woods has become very rare... in fact, I haven't encountered one in over three years at the JYs I frequent.

I've got an extra front sway bar if anybody is looking.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Exhausting!

A late start today due to domestic duties and errands....

Tacked up the right tail section, welded in some hanger brackets, and pulled the system for finish welding, and painting of the welds. Some boogered, some well done. Oh well... at least they are mine.

Tomorrow is exhaust wrap, installation of the system, and likely a driveshaft... the one that has been sitting on my coffee table for a couple of months already.

.... and mounting the front swaybar.

EDIT: 100,000+ views? I am amazed.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
That system looks beautiful man. Can't wait to see it installed. What are you doing for tips?

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build