1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie with 49 COE hot rod truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:40 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Newbie with 49 COE hot rod truck

Well, signed up and thought it best to make a quick introduction. My main reason for signing up is my 88 Ford reg cab longbed F250 4x4 diesel that I recently inherited from my father. Sorry I don't have any pictures, but it looks like a 3 year old truck, even though it is nearly 30 years old.

My name is Terry, 47 years old, work as an engineer on nukes (the kind that make big mushroom clouds, not powerplant nukes). I live in Tijeras, NM; which is in the east mountains of Albuquerque. My house is at about 7100 ft elevation and I do get reasonable amount of snow. Started out using the 38Chevy454 name on a couple forums way back, just keep using it here. It was my first hot rod car I built, obviously a 38 Chevy (2 dr sedan) with a 454. About 450 hp and a nice hot rod. Has a 700R4 trans and 9-inch rearend.

My normal daily driver when the weather is not snow or rain is my 37 Ford Utility Coupe, or better known as a Ute. It is from Australia, and is hot rodded with a 289/C4/9-inch drivetrain. It is right hand drive still. I always drive old cars as daily drivers, this is just my latest one taking its turn.

Here is my 49 COE. Probably the one that most people have identified me with. There have been pictures of this all over the world. Almost too many modifications to list, but a quick summary. I chopped the top 4 inches, on a 74 GM 1-ton dually reg cab chassis with Chevy 350/Turbo 400 drivetrain. Air bags on the front with dropped spindles. Flipped rearend on top of the leafs with frame notched. Custom flatbed. Has A/C and drive it to Bonneville every year past 4 years. Was my daily driver prior to moving to NM in Oct 2009. The COE is probably what you guiys on this section of the FTE forum will like best.

I also have a 37 Chevy Ute. This one is all stock and have plans to hot rod it. RHD and also from Australia

My 68 Pontiac GTO that I have had for 31 years. All orig except repaint and engine rebuild when i was 16. I will never sell this car. Looks better int he pics than reality. I need to repaint again and also replace the vinyl top. It runs great though and always puts a smile on my face when I drive it.

Here is my latest acquisition, a 42 Ford 9N tractor. Need this for my 400 ft gravel driveway maintenance and for snow plowing.

Also have a 97 Expedition 4x4 that I use as my bad weather driver. Wife's daily driver is a 2008 Edge, it kicks butt in the snow. I also have a 92 Chevy ex cab dually with supercharged 454 which is my main towing vehicle. Now that I have my dad's truck, I can use it to tow instead.

Well, that is where I am coming from and why I am here. To learn about the 7.3 diesel engine and what I can do to help make it better in my new 88 Ford F250 diesel truck i inherited form my father. Already been reading up on cold weather starting. My dad's truck spent it life in CA and never had real cold like i get. It does start, but sometimes have to cycle the glow plugs and crank it routine a couple times and then it starts. I plan to replace all the glow plugs, think I have some that are not working. Since more of my life is my hot rods, this section is where I will keep up with some as well. Look forward to being around and hopefully can contribute as well. Terry

Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome from another newbie, i am also a 49 COE owner plus a 56 F100 panel.
They are a pretty friendly and helpfull bunch on here and dont seem to bight LOL
Love the 37 Chevy ute. my eldest boy had one until recently. and a real oddball, had factory fitted roadster doors and was body no 2.
cheers from downunder John

Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Hi Terry,

You've got a really neat collection going on there!
Welcome to the FTE,
I love the Cabover. I'm a COE fan too and just recently picked up a 38 Ford COE firetruck myself.

Oh, and I think I met you at Bonneville 2 years ago too.

I have a question for ya on the 9n though, I have always wanted an 8n tractor but I may be able to pick a decent running 47 9N up for cheap and don't know much about the 9N's and I would want to put the same type blade on the rear like yours. how does the hydraulic lift mechanisim work? do ya have any pictures of that? Ive been told the 8n's were better for that type of stuff?? but it sounds like yours can move the snow etc just as well.

Cheers

Josh

Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Terry

Welcome to the board!! Nice stable of vehicles there. I loe those Utes, don't see to many of them in the states.

I'm just over the mountains from you, ain't NM great. Its nice to have all 4 seasons; summer, fall, winter, and wind.

Enjoy the ride
Bobby

Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome
You almost have enough Ford powered vehicles to qualify

Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Josh, the 9N are the same basic hydraulic set-up as the 8N. The only real differences between the 9N/2N (real similar to each other) and the 8N are the 9N/2N have 3 speed trans, front mount distributor and are factory grey paint all over. The 8N has 4 speed trans, side mount distributor and red engine/trans/rearend and grey sheetmetal. My 9N is painted similar to 8N colors and style. If the 9N you are looking at is good shpe, then i would get it. Engine power and hydraulic characteristics are the same. Next year at Bonneville if you are there look for me. I might drive my 37 Ford Ute, or the COE. I go every year.

Bobby, good to meet another local guy, I just moved to NM little over 1 year ago. Still meeting new people. If you see my COE around it is me since no others look like mine, especially in ABQ area, stop and say hi. Terry

Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 AM
19fiftyf3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
38chevy

welcome to FTE this is an awesome site with lots of smart people and helpful people. you have a very nice stable of rides wish i had your collection. i Also have 87 F250 4x4 but it has the 460 in it. i also have a 97 F350 with a 7.3 powerstroke in it.
Im pretty sure that your fathers truck has the 6.9L international non turbo direct injection for a power plant. But i have been wrong before and if so then u are correct and it has the eary 7.3L non turbo. There is a huge following for the international motors especally the powerstroke. here are my other favorite sites after FTE diesel section.
PowerstrokeNation.com
Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Terry,

There's a handful of FTE members around Alb. Keep your eyes peeled for a silver and cream colored 49 with a tilt front clip. He lives out there on the back side of the mountains as well. I think he's over in Stanley. He's a heck of a nice guy and does some great work. Heres a pic of his truck, he goes by fish-albuq on this site.
There's even a local NM chapter of FTE but most of those guys are into new trucks.

Looking forward to meeting you one of these days
Bobby

Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Sad to say I've been in Salt Lake for about 16 years now and my first Bonneville Experience wasn't until 2008 my first trip out there during Speed Week, and love it.
All I have been able to mangae so far is getting out there for at least 1 day of speedweek for the last three years, This year I got the wife and kids to go with me. they had fun.

here a couple pictures for those who haven't been.

I got a few pictures of your truck out there too, in fact there probably posted on here somewhere.

I will definitly look for you out there at Bonneville this year.

here is a link to a couple pictures of the tractor I'm looking at maybe it was a 2N. 1947 2N Ford Tractor pictures by jfmadsen - Photobucket

can't remember now??
maybe in the next couple weeks I'll track down the owner againa nd see it i can adopt it, I need more projects!

cheers

Josh

Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
IIRC, I seen that COE on the HAMB. Welcome to FTE, Terry!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM
auerdoan
Junior User
Beautiful lookin truck you got there 38Chevy

Thats the first time ive seen a 49 COE, shes a keeper!

-Auerdoan

Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Bobby I know that truck, have seen it at a few shows around. It is really nice, especially the interior.

Josh, that tractor does seem to be a 2N, the tubular front control arms are later 2N. That pic of my truck is older 2008 when I had the wood 4x8 plywood bed. Before I built the metal flatbed. I love Bonneville, been every year since 2002.

Havi, my COE has been on the HAMB a lot, as well as many other websites.

Thanks to all for the welcome, I willhave to hang out here a bit more. Terry

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Terry,

First I have to mention that your COE has a perfect stance. Great truck.

If you don't mind I am interested in what you did with the rear fenders. I have a 50 F2 on an s-10 chassis with seriously big tires on the back. [thread steel dreams] I am going to make or modify some type of rear fenders when i put a box on the back and i like the look of what you did. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

jim

Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Terry,

First I have to mention that your COE has a perfect stance. Great truck.

If you don't mind I am interested in what you did with the rear fenders. I have a 50 F2 on an s-10 chassis with seriously big tires on the back. [thread steel dreams] I am going to make or modify some type of rear fenders when i put a box on the back and i like the look of what you did. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

jim
Thanks Jim for the compliment on the COE. The rear fenders on my COE are actually 46-47 Ford big truck FRONT fenders. They have been cut and modified to work with my custom flatbed.

A friend of mine got the cab and front sheetmetal off a 46-47 big truck. Since he was building a hot rod truck, and the wider fenders and bigger radius were not usable for him, he donated them to me. Since they have a similar shape to the front fenders on my COE, I cut and welded them until they worked out. Worked out good the paint matched as well

I really can't give any advice on a rear fender to use, I do think a 2 or 3-inch wider fiberglass fender is made by someone. Or do as I did and cut and weld on yours until they are suitable for your truck.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Very interesting information. It has opened my eyes to more possiblities that I was thinking. My rear tires will be 16x12x29 and will need a large fender to get the job done.

I thought about th fiberglass replicas but I just don't think so. As the same in your case they just wouldn't have the proper atitude to fit the truck.

thanks again
jim

Quick Reply: Newbie with 49 COE hot rod truck