2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Accessory power question with push button start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:21 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 541 Likes on 265 Posts
Accessory power question with push button start

What am I missing? On our Lincoln with push-button start, pushing the "start" button without touching the brake activates accessory power mode, where you can operate the power windows, radio, wipers, sunroof, etc.

Pushing the start button on the new Super Duty activates "full accessory power" but that is basically the equivalent of turning the ignition key to position II - where all the warning lights turn on...which they do on the Super Duty. It also turns your headlights on at night. You can hit the button again and have retained power to operate the windows and roof for 10 minutes or so, but no wipers.

How do I just access standard acc power?

The owner's manual gives no information on this.

Lastly, why does the stupid Sync 3 screen go to full brightness at night if the headlights are off? Drives me nuts.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:45 PM
RubyRed350Platinum
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great question!!! I also HATE the screen going to full bright. We live in a 5th wheel and I want my lights off if I am on the phone when I get at home at night. However the screen is so bright I find myself leaving the lights on. Hope the neighbors don't key my truck

Old 10-19-2016, 04:47 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Press the button twice. I think that's what someone posted a while ago.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:42 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Press the button twice. I think that's what someone posted a while ago.
You got it Epic, press it twice for accessory mode. I played with a Lariat a few weeks back, worked like a charm.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
What am I missing? On our Lincoln with push-button start, pushing the "start" button without touching the brake activates accessory power mode, where you can operate the power windows, radio, wipers, sunroof, etc.
On our MKC just pushing the radio volume button (on/off) does the same thing. I have to check if the windows operate but it does refresh the timeout on the radio which I assume would put it back in accessory mode.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:04 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by NStorm
You got it Epic, press it twice for accessory mode. I played with a Lariat a few weeks back, worked like a charm.
Nope, that doesn't do it. Push it once for "full accessory power" which turns all the warning lights on, headlights on, etc. Yes, everything works on that setting but then you'd have to manually turn the headlights off, climate control off, etc.

Push it twice and what you have is "retained accessory power." No different than turning the engine off. It gives you 10 minutes or so of being able to operate the windows and sunroof and radio before timing out. Then you have to repeated the procedure...which annoyingly turns the headlights back on and delays them off by whatever time limit is set, and turns on the interior lights for their delay. During this period, you also cannot run the wipers.

I'm envisioning sitting in a parking lot on a dark, raining night, waiting for the better half to come out of the store. Once I park, I want to be able to listen to tunes and crack a window, plus occasionally clear the windshield so I can see when she's coming out of the store to pick her up.

Nowhere other than full accessory power do I see the ability to operate the wipers. It just seems like the normal "ACC" setting which the pushbutton Lincoln has is missing on this Super Duty...or I have no idea how to operate it.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Nope, that doesn't do it. Push it once for "full accessory power" which turns all the warning lights on, headlights on, etc. Yes, everything works on that setting but then you'd have to manually turn the headlights off, climate control off, etc.

Push it twice and what you have is "retained accessory power." No different than turning the engine off. It gives you 10 minutes or so of being able to operate the windows and sunroof and radio before timing out. Then you have to repeated the procedure...which annoyingly turns the headlights back on and delays them off by whatever time limit is set, and turns on the interior lights for their delay. During this period, you also cannot run the wipers.

I'm envisioning sitting in a parking lot on a dark, raining night, waiting for the better half to come out of the store. Once I park, I want to be able to listen to tunes and crack a window, plus occasionally clear the windshield so I can see when she's coming out of the store to pick her up.

Nowhere other than full accessory power do I see the ability to operate the wipers. It just seems like the normal "ACC" setting which the pushbutton Lincoln has is missing on this Super Duty...or I have no idea how to operate it.
huh, i'm sure i fiddled around longer than 10 minutes. there you have it.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by NStorm
huh, i'm sure i fiddled around longer than 10 minutes. there you have it.
Even if the delay did last longer than 10 minutes, you still can't operate the wipers. Am I the only one that sits in a parking lot when its raining and wants to sweep the wipers once in awhile to be able to see out?

Now, with the smart key in pocket, you can just get in the truck, push nothing, and turn on the radio. That's nice, but it gives you no windows or wiper operation.

The worst thing is that massively bright Sync 3 screen at night. You can only fix it with the engine off by tediously going through several menus and switching to night mode (and then have to set it back to auto later) or the easier option of switching your parking lights on manually. Come on, Ford. Didn't anybody try this? F-150 is the same way.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
The NAV in my 2011 has a button one the lower left of the controls that turns off the screen. I use it all the time when backing the RV at night (wouldn't have to if the reverse lights were in-op with the 5th wheel hooked up).

No button like this on the new trucks?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by porthole
The NAV in my 2011 has a button one the lower left of the controls that turns off the screen. I use it all the time when backing the RV at night (wouldn't have to if the reverse lights were in-op with the 5th wheel hooked up).

No button like this on the new trucks?
Not anymore.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
There is a way with the Forescan software to activate full accessory power to be on for like 3hrs if im not mistaken..

Going to look more into this as it was a pain when I needed to charge my phone at the deer lease this week.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
There is a way with the Forescan software to activate full accessory power to be on for like 3hrs if im not mistaken..

Going to look more into this as it was a pain when I needed to charge my phone at the deer lease this week.
Having the power outlets shut down is not necessarily a bad thing. Did you consider adding an additional USB tied to an always hot source just for the phone charge?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:39 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
ONe thing I wish we could do is either program the key fob for 2 vehicles, or program the vehicles to take the same fob, when I get this truck we will have 2 Fords with the push button start would love to only have to have one fob in my pocket.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wb6anp
ONe thing I wish we could do is either program the key fob for 2 vehicles, or program the vehicles to take the same fob, when I get this truck we will have 2 Fords with the push button start would love to only have to have one fob in my pocket.
That makes way too much sense. I didn't think of that but now I'll have to deal with two fobs. One for the Super Duty and another for the wife's Explorer.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:01 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
That makes way too much sense. I didn't think of that but now I'll have to deal with two fobs. One for the Super Duty and another for the wife's Explorer.
Trying to figure how you would remote start one without the other, or unlock one without leaving the other one open. And lexiadys people like me would be switching buttons back and forth trying to figure out which one to operate. At least not wanting larger than a SC will keep me from having the fob issues, although the proximity reader and push button were on my wish list.

I keep my fob for my wife's MKC in a drawer in the kitchen, now in a Faraday cage. It is close enough to the car outside that the puddle and tail lights often say "Hello" all by themselves for no apparent reason. I always try to sooth the car and ask it to be quiet but it never listens to me. Some days I try to drive it nuts by walking around the yard with the fob in my pocket and it really gets excited when mowing the lawn, often times calling out "can we go!? can we go!?"

Quick Reply: Accessory power question with push button start